How do you know when your dinos are actually gone?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Dino X (4 doses over 8 days so far last one being today) and I'm very happy to say I can't see any more amphidinium dinos in my sand- even more happy that my only loss was one small hammer coral and all fish inverts and other coral are ok.

I can still see some dino cells in my sand under a microscope, but honestly pretty hard to find- like I have to take a couple samples of sand to even find them.

When should I stop the Dino X? DO I need to make sure I absolutely can't see anything under the microscope before I stop?

Now I actually have to get my nutrients back in order: NO3: 12-15ppm Phos .2ppm. Steady skimming, revamp the clean up crew (some were lost in a rip clean along the way), and I assume once I stop the dino x which is ostensibly an algaecide, I'll get other growth back to consume the nutrients.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all reality, if the parameters are back in check, and it's not too unsightly anymore,I'd quit dosing. Then again I'm very conservative with additives.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, present in just about every body of water. We mere humans can help manage their growth through maintaining water parameters, biodiversity, etc., etc.

Good luck

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Dino X (4 doses over 8 days so far last one being today) and I'm very happy to say I can't see any more amphidinium dinos in my sand- even more happy that my only loss was one small hammer coral and all fish inverts and other coral are ok.

I can still see some dino cells in my sand under a microscope, but honestly pretty hard to find- like I have to take a couple samples of sand to even find them.

When should I stop the Dino X? DO I need to make sure I absolutely can't see anything under the microscope before I stop?

Now I actually have to get my nutrients back in order: NO3: 12-15ppm Phos .2ppm. Steady skimming, revamp the clean up crew (some were lost in a rip clean along the way), and I assume once I stop the dino x which is ostensibly an algaecide, I'll get other growth back to consume the nutrients.
Dinos are never gone.

They exist in every healthy system. They only become a problem when they outcompete other organisms.

Provided that you have fixed whatever issue that allowed them to become dominant, you should be good to go.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the silicate dosing route for dinos with my current tank and rode out the uglies for a month. I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the silicate dosing route for dinos with my current tank and rode out the uglies for a month. I highly recommend it.
probably going to do this (again) after I stop dosing just to be safe!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back