How do you light acclimate corals? Hints and tips

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I was wondering how you all managed your light acclimation process for new SPS corals in your DT? I've had some difficulty pin-pointing placement for sps sometimes resulting in poor colouration and in others burnt tips.

I assume most people start with the coral low in the tank and gradually move it up the rockwork. How long in each position? What are the visual signs to look out for that the coral is over/under lit. Do you have any special techniques that work for you?

cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the SPS we get here in Australia are wild colonies which makes working out what par they were under difficult. It also makes acclimating them in frag racks difficult too.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly acclimate in the 2-3 weeks new corals spend in the quarantine tank. I start corals at the side of the QT and slowly move them towards the center. In last days corals are close to the light they’ll be under in the DT. One added to the DT I also hit the radions acclimate button for a 2 weeks ramp up from 60 percent ran intensity up to normal running intensity which in my case is 100 percent.

icomplii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I've gotten my AI 26, I've been doing a 50% light reduction and slowly ramp up to 100% power over a span of a month just to be safe. But if you don't have a light with the coral acclimation feature, then I would put all new coral on the bottom near the sides of the tank, and then gradually move them little by little more towards the center and further up on the rock work at the same time.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back