How do you prepare "used" rocks?

What to do with second hand rocks

• Total voters

danewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got scored 300lb + of marco rocks for 100$ because the guy is shutting down his tank after an algae bloom. My question right now is basically how should I prepare it so the same bloom doesn't happen in mine. Should I just nuke the rocks by bleach or just lock em away in a barrel with saltwater with no light so the algae leaves?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not live rock if you bleach them. If you’re really in a hurry throw them in a tote and double dose Fluconazole.

OP
OP
D

danewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not live rock if you bleach them. If you’re really in a hurry throw them in a tote and double dose Fluconazole.
Im not really in a hurry I already have a tank running just looking to maybe make some interesting arches with the rocks to replace the ones in my tank already.
I am planning on setting up an 80 gal later this year so I can just bleach them all and start the rock cycle.
My main concern is the part of adding it to my running tank already

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just did a hard reboot on a 200, and left all the rocks outside in frozen fresh water for a month. :) I doubt much more than bacteria survived. For your algae algae I would take the saltwater/dark path- bleaching seems wasteful

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bleach them and cycle them. After you bleach them, put them in a bucket or tank or whatever, and add a rock from your tank. Add a pinch of food, some flow, microbacter7, wait a few weeks, then add them to your tank. Thats what I do for my new builds.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not really in a hurry I already have a tank running just looking to maybe make some interesting arches with the rocks to replace the ones in my tank already.
I am planning on setting up an 80 gal later this year so I can just bleach them all and start the rock cycle.

Just scrub them clean. They are not going to hurt a running tank if they are just algae covered but healthy.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best way to clean them if you really want them clean in my opinion is soak in bleach then muratic acid. The acid will eat a layer off the rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back