How does Aptasia spread?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
8,302
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few frags from the LFS about 3 months ago and placed them in a small tank to observe.

During that time, I noticed a piece of live rock I placed in the tank and which I've had for years develop one head of Aptasia. So I pulled the rock and placed it in a small display where I could enjoy it and keep it under control.

Today, I took a look (with my glasses on) and noticed there were now three Aptasia heads. And I am also noticing one head of Aptasia on the back wall of the tank and on the overflow.

I can understand the rock developing more and more heads. But how it is growing on other areas of the tank? Do they release spores that travel around the tank?
 

How does Aptasia spread?​

I was gonna say from toilet seats but that excuse got used up in the 70’s :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Today, I took a look (with my glasses on) and noticed there were now three Aptasia heads. And I am also noticing one head of Aptasia on the back wall of the tank and on the overflow.
had you used Aptasia X you might of had 15 by now,

at any rate …they always spread when threatened, unless you keep conversations low and to a minimum around your tanks
 
Its like a Wort... you keep messing with it without nuking it completely, it will come back, and all the bits you thought you pulled out will turn into new ones.
 
Its like a Wort... you keep messing with it without nuking it completely, it will come back, and all the bits you thought you pulled out will turn into new ones.

I isolated it so that I could enjoy it and keep it under control.

But I haven't done anything to eradicate any of what is currently in the tank, so, there are no bits and pieces.
 
They spread many ways. Pedal laceration is just budding from the foot, typically when they move from one spot to another they leave a piece behind, or sometimes just a bud separates and crawls away. They can spawn. Sometimes they will just release and float to a new spot to attach, especially if they don’t like the spot where they are (dark with not much food etc).
 
They will pop up in different spots, especially places that you really don’t notice. They seem to love overflows and spots where they can hide. I would bet that you have quite a few more than you can see.
 
They spread many ways. Pedal laceration is just budding from the foot, typically when they move from one spot to another they leave a piece behind, or sometimes just a bud separates and crawls away. They can spawn. Sometimes they will just release and float to a new spot to attach, especially if they don’t like the spot where they are (dark with not much food etc).

So they move around, much like an Anemone?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new