How does Hanna Alk Kit work?

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Im just wondering does anyone know how the Hanna Alk checker work? Chemically? As I understand it alkalinity is the tolerance to the change in pH, but the hanna checker only reads the spectrum from control seawater (no regent added) and the final one after the reagent are already added. So how does it check for the initial pH of the water? Does it just guess? Does that mean its inaccurate?

Thanks

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, perhaps I am confused but this is an electronic colormetric tester?

It works based on Beer-Lambert law.

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, perhaps I am confused but this is an electronic colormetric tester?

It works based on Beer-Lambert law.

I failed pH math in school so don't quote me :p But I thought that alkalinity is the measurement of multiple ions and their interaction and how they sorta prevent the pH from changing? Don't the colorimetric test only work if you know specifically which substance you are looking for? Or if it is colorimetric, would you happen to know which chemical they used to mark the ions?

Edit: I have no clue if this is right but I initially thought that they used bromothymol blue dye (cuz I always see green - blue purely guess work) with some acid and use the spectrometer to measure the current pH.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder in the packet is pixie dust.
hrithik roshan bollywood GIF by bypriyashah

It's Magic

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add acid and an indicator dye (or more than one). The pH attained is an indication of the alkalinity.
Not sure if my understanding is correct but to get alk, dont you need pH at two points? But the hanna kit only takes one read with the indicator dye. Im just confused how it can get the initial pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if my understanding is correct but to get alk, dont you need pH at two points? But the hanna kit only takes one read with the indicator dye. Im just confused how it can get the initial pH.

No, although the method Hanna uses may not be especially accurate as the pH or alk deviate significantly from NSW values, while the normal titration method is not impacted by these.

"The one-point titration method using BPB was utilized at a remote field location, One Tree Island, Australia and was found to be suitable for producing accurate and precise alkalinity data in a timely manner; ∼ 10–15 samples can be determined per hour. "

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ic thank u, thanks for the paper too btw

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say use with caution. My Hanna Alk checker worked great, until it didn't. It started giving me artificially high results. By the time I realized it, my Alk was in the 6's. My tank took a huge hit. I now use the pH titration method.

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say use with caution. My Hanna Alk checker worked great, until it didn't. It started giving me artificially high results. By the time I realized it, my Alk was in the 6's. My tank took a huge hit. I now use the pH titration method.
Yeah, i switched over like 2 months ago from my salifert test kit, it did give me a weird reading, from ~8 in the titrating one to 10 dkh with hanna. Good to know the titration one is more accurate.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah, i switched over like 2 months ago from my salifert test kit, it did give me a weird reading, from ~8 in the titrating one to 10 dkh with hanna. Good to know the titration one is more accurate.

I got the Hannah alk just so i can complete my 3D printed tray lol I only used it once. I use Salifert exclusively for ALK.
The other 2, I use very often.

1665194340963.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back