How does my RBTA look

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them uncooked, wild caught fish, shrimp, squid or other sea food. No preservatives. I don’t feed my anemones shellfish. No shellfish because every time I feed my anemone clams, mussels or oysters they get sick. These are completely fresh live shellfish. So from experiences I stop feeding them shellfish.
I tried my best not to eat farm raised fish or shrimp. One look at the live Tilapia or catfish with their deformed spines cure me of any wish of eating farm raised seafood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be UNCOOKED and PEELED.

As with many foods, the cooking process typically removes nutrients.

Regarding the shell, most agree that it doesn't offer much added nutrition and is just more for the anemone to have to process (which exerts energy). If you've ever seen an anemone eat a fish, they typical expel the bones.
Hey again, I got some uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp, made sure there was no preservatives, fed him a small piece for the first time today after dethawing in a warm cup of water, he closed up around it and it disappeared and then he was a little deflated which I expected, then he completely closed up (pic below) I just got home this evening and I find that he must have thrown it up as my fire shrimp is now eating it under a rock. My anemone is still closed like in the pic. I assume I gave him a piece that was too big, just wondering if he will recover and when/if I should try to feed a smaller piece of shrimp..
IMG_3522.jpeg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes it should open back up. What size of piece did you give it? If you are going to target feed, I would think no more than a couple times a month. Again I have 5 in 4 separate tanks, 1 has split, all seem happy and I do not target feed at all. But I also have lots of fish in each tank, and feed well.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should open back up. What size of piece did you give it? If you are going to target feed, I would think no more than a couple times a month. Again I have 5 in 4 separate tanks, 1 has split, all seem happy and I do not target feed at all. But I also have lots of fish in each tank, and feed well.
iI cut the back off of a small shrimp, I’d say just under an inch in length, it opened back up this morning, not fully but definitely back out. How long should I wait before I attempt to feed it again?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
iI cut the back off of a small shrimp, I’d say just under an inch in length, it opened back up this morning, not fully but definitely back out. How long should I wait before I attempt to feed it again?
I would probably keep the pieces to 1/2” or less. Feed every other week IMO. I would not feed if it spits it out again, as I would think that means it didn’t like it.

Also, add it to a small cup of tank water prior to feeding to temp acclimate it.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably keep the pieces to 1/2” or less. Feed every other week IMO. I would not feed if it spits it out again, as I would think that means it didn’t like it.

Also, add it to a small cup of tank water prior to feeding to temp acclimate it.
sounds good, thank you so much!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if it looks healthy and how often I should feed it. Been doing frozen brine shrimp 2x a week.

Thanks in advance!
Looks good to me. I never fed my bta's in ten years having them. The drifting food and light has been plenty. Got more nems now than I need, feeding will just make it worse.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back