how does one not spill everything on the floor whilst doing anything?

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spilled out maybe five, six gallons of water on the floor and carpet whilst doing routine cleaning(Hose came loose from the filter sock, put it back on, then it came loose again, then once again when I'm trying to stop the flow. During which I accidentally damaged my hammer because I was paying attention to the spilling end), same with last week, and the week before that. For three years I've done maintainance and not a single time had things not spilled, gotten everywhere, or broken somehow. Last time my water - change pump broke and was no longer able to pump water out of the reservoir and I spilled half of it because I had to haul them up by hand, the time before last I broke my fuge lights because I turned them off wrong somehow and had to wait two days for a new one to arrive. What is the secret to not breaking things every time you touch it?

1701055006102.png
HERE!
BATHROOM MAT!
I have like 4 or 5 sets i rotate. Sometimes I leave them ni front of the tank 24/7, because they match the white of my reefer 350 white stand.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved back in Aug and put this down under my stand first when I was setting up. Rubber backed and synthetic fibers; water does not absorb or penetrate...

TrafficMasterConcord Charcoal Gray 3 ft. x 4 ft. Commercial Mat
SKU# 202259648

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the main issue is to stay with the tank while water is drained or added via a pump. Whenever I thought I could quickly go somewhere else to do something the tube would slip or bucket would overflow. Now I stay put and hold the tube in place. It is not exciting, but I have no more accidents!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt aquatics has a shag absorbing carpet you lay down by the tank for spills.
It was the biggest ticket item in our raffle one year.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post made me feel better. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a small flood at every water change. I do not think I ever managed not to have at least some water on the floor.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I mixed the salt in 5 gallon buckets. I would drain 35 gallons out of the tank through a window which in turn was weed control. Now older and wiser, I have two 40 gallon barrels in my garage. One barrel has RODI water while the other has the salt mix. When its cold in the garage I use a 300 watt heater to raise the temp and if it is too hot during the summer then I use ice packs to lower the temperature. I use a python hose (with extra length added) to drain the water and then pump it from the garage through the entry room, across the kitchen floor and into the aquarium in the living room.

I may have a few drops on the floor but nothing that would upset my wife!

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried extremely small daily water changes? Fill your bucket with one gallon of water. Fling it in the driveway each day when you feed. Done. Your bucket is never close to full to spill out.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve always spilled or flooded things with my RODI…

Worst story was I was filling a 5g bucket for an ATO and the timer went off and stopped it saw the bucket wasn’t ready and let it keep filling. At this point I got distracted then off to work I went.

The bucket continued to fill for 9-10 hours unaware of the situation until I walk in the house and see the downstairs light on still….oh no the water! Run down there water all across the floor and soaked into the indoor outdoor carpet. Luckily I think a lot went down the drain or for some reason the RODI didn’t make the 40-50g I would have expected in that time.

Luckily the basement is currently unfinished and the concrete just had to dry. And I wanted rid of those carpets since they smelled of dog from the owner before

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spilled out maybe five, six gallons of water on the floor and carpet whilst doing routine cleaning(Hose came loose from the filter sock, put it back on, then it came loose again, then once again when I'm trying to stop the flow. During which I accidentally damaged my hammer because I was paying attention to the spilling end), same with last week, and the week before that. For three years I've done maintainance and not a single time had things not spilled, gotten everywhere, or broken somehow. Last time my water - change pump broke and was no longer able to pump water out of the reservoir and I spilled half of it because I had to haul them up by hand, the time before last I broke my fuge lights because I turned them off wrong somehow and had to wait two days for a new one to arrive. What is the secret to not breaking things every time you touch it?

1701055006102.png
Put down a plastic tarp for changes.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our entire bottom floor is tile. I spill everywhere while working on the tank and I don’t even care. I just wipe it up later, it’s like a free floor cleaning! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely not alone. I have a 200+ gallon in my family room. No carpeting under the tank but the carpeting does go right up to the stand. I do use a long bathroom mat in front of the tank. I've split enough water over the years, including having hoses come loose just like you describe, that the subfloor under the carpet is damaged and wavy. It's particle board so it has swelled in spots with very noticeable bumps if you stand there. Even the tank has sunk into the subfloor at the front corner of one side, so that corner is about 1/2 inch lower. It worries me some but tank has been up since 2004 and no sign of leaks yet.

I could go on with how much water I've spilled in the basement where I have the return pump and chiller and where I mix the new saltwater for a water change.

Hang in there and improve wherever you can. Reefkeeping means learning lots of lessons along the way.

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3’x6’ commercial-style rug that I roll
out before doing any tank work - it’s saved me a couple times.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and that's why my tank is in my attached garage on a concrete floor...

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1701055006102.png
I spilled water once.
Wife made me move everything except tank and lights to the basement.
Now, everything except glass cleaning and gyres is deployed from basement.
IMG_1676.jpeg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the title is to funny! 5 years for me and still somehow manage to get floor wet! Not as much as b4 but on water change day the house is a wreck! I have always wondered how people have tanks in living rooms, familly room because of the mess and fear of someone dropping by to visit!

My kitchen is a mess from kitchen tank though! My den is as mess but I can always close the door!

I use a big about 30 gallon dog food barrel on wheels to make water and I use a vac with a squeeze bulb on end! I have a cheap pump with 6ft lift to place in dog food contianer and wheel it aound. I empty into a cooler on wheels. I use a clip to hold hoses in place but somehow it always gets on floor and area rug in den and rug is beginning to smell like the ocean with red tide lol

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to fight with hoses slipping, got a couple packs of plastic clamps and a Python. For me the Python was a game changer. No more draining or filling spills. Draining goes right into the sink or out the door depending on my mood. My reservoir is in the basement, and I used to manually plug in the pump, and run upstairs to watch the tank, then run back down to shut it off. With the Python, I use the switch valve to close off the hose and gingerly stroll down to turn off the pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back