How does your overflow empty into your sump?

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a Frag tank and a Refuge tank in line between my tank and basement sump. I am looking to see how everyone has their overflow emptying into their sumps. I'm worried about salt creep and splash from the bubbles in the water going into the tanks. How can I limit the bubbles, salt creep, and splashing in the tanks where the overflwo dumps in?

Pics would be great!

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cover most of my sump with sheets of acrylic. Nothing fancy but it keeps the creep down a bit. My sump also has the in-flow pipes submerged by design to lower noise.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're talking about the drain pipe where it enters the sump? It should be measured to be just under the water line (mine is about 1/2" under). There is no splashing and the only bubbles are when I first turn the return back on and it takes in air before full siphon.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current sump I desgined with the drains just under the water level and the boil like crazy on start up. They slightly settle once the overflow is balanced out but still have some bubbles. I made an acrylic lid over the area and that keeps everything contained but i have tons of salt creep around it.

Then new fuge and frag tank are rimless so i dont want to build boxes in them with acrylic lids but I might have too.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a Frag tank and a Refuge tank in line between my tank and basement sump.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but I have both a frag tank and mangrove refugium sitting a few feet above my main basement sump. I designed the system that way and have multiple siphons off the upstairs display to feed the intermediary tanks, UV and my ATS. Siphons generate some bubbles upon startup, but then are largely spray free. Both of the intermediary tanks then drain into the low sump.

IMG_0445.JPG
file-86.jpeg

Last edited:

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current sump I desgined with the drains just under the water level and the boil like crazy on start up. They slightly settle once the overflow is balanced out but still have some bubbles. I made an acrylic lid over the area and that keeps everything contained but i have tons of salt creep around it.

Then new fuge and frag tank are rimless so i dont want to build boxes in them with acrylic lids but I might have too.
If your drain continues to bubble you're either not running full siphon or you have a leak in your drain pipe. Even a little pin hole will allow air to enter the line.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think that depends on your sump. I went the custom route and every open compartment including a separate fuge all are covered with poly lids.

Design Phase:
1614114686209.png

Building Phase:
1614115198940.png

Installed:

1614115232927.png
:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duplicate

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a Frag tank and a Refuge tank in line between my tank and basement sump. I am looking to see how everyone has their overflow emptying into their sumps. I'm worried about salt creep and splash from the bubbles in the water going into the tanks. How can I limit the bubbles, salt creep, and splashing in the tanks where the overflwo dumps in?

Pics would be great!
I would recommend using a gate valve and put one between the fuge, and one between the sump, so that you can tune the water to not make crazy bubbles, you'll probably want to have one universal on each side of the gate valves so you can easily take it all apart for cleaning. That's my best method for not having a ton of bubbles in the sump.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i currently have a herbie that goes from the display to a sump in the basement. It flows into a chamber with bubble traps. I designed and made the sump. This section traps all the bubble and has a cover over it to keep the salt creep down to a minimum.

My plan is to move the sump to the floor. Have the display drain into the fuge, then from the fuge, drain into a frag tank, then from the frag tank to the sump. I plan to make the same bubble trap in the sump but im not sure what to do witht he fuge and frag tank because I dont want to lose the realestate to the bubble/salt creep trap in those two tanks. Maybe if i just put bulk heads in at the water level on those tanks ill be ok. I just want to see what other people are doing to combat the bubbles and salt creep.

c-horse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As EuphylliaAddict said, a gate valve will allow you to fine tune your flow to reduce bubbles and noise, when the overflow pipe is under the water level of your sump.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back