How easily does aiptasia spread?

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited a LFS over the weekend and was looking to pick up some coral frags. However, I decided to hold off after I noticed aiptasia growing in a number of the tanks. I took a look at the plumbing and like most LFS, they plumb many tanks together. The two tanks that had some frags that I wanted to purchase did not have any aiptasia. However, these tanks were plumbed together with other tanks that did.

So my question to the R2R community... how easily does aiptasia spread? Even though there wasn't any visible aiptasia in the two tanks with the frags I wanted, is it possible that those tanks contain aiptasia cells that I could ultimately end up introducing into my own tanks?

Thanks in advance!

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can spread pretty easily but I don't think I would worry about it. if you do not quarantine your frags before you put in tank to see if one pops up on the frag, dip it and use a brush or something (I use a toothbrush) and scrub the frag plug really good and dip a few times. Could even remove plug or cover it with glue or putty.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience actually, but I ended up buying the frags (oops) because I didn't see the aptasia! I've had the frags for a few months and they are slowly growing around the aptasia on the plug. I have tried to grab them with tweezers and cut them, but I haven't had success. While they haven't spread in the time I've had the coral, I feel like it is a time bomb that is waiting to spread. For the peace of mind, I would not recommend it. A lot of the smaller online sellers I have seen have particularly rigorous quarantine measures, so I am looking into that option for the future.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can spread pretty easily but I don't think I would worry about it. if you do not quarantine your frags before you put in tank to see if one pops up on the frag, dip it and use a brush or something (I use a toothbrush) and scrub the frag plug really good and dip a few times. Could even remove plug or cover it with glue or putty.

Thanks @steallife904! Unfortunately, I currently only quarantine my fish since I do not have the appropriate lighting to quarantine corals. I really should though since I have definitely introduced hitchhiker worms into my tank.

How do you scrub a torch coral? Do you only scrub the skeleton?

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience actually, but I ended up buying the frags (oops) because I didn't see the aptasia! I've had the frags for a few months and they are slowly growing around the aptasia on the plug. I have tried to grab them with tweezers and cut them, but I haven't had success. While they haven't spread in the time I've had the coral, I feel like it is a time bomb that is waiting to spread. For the peace of mind, I would not recommend it. A lot of the smaller online sellers I have seen have particularly rigorous quarantine measures, so I am looking into that option for the future.

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. I really appreciate you sharing your experience though. What you're going through is exactly what I'm afraid of happening.

Also, do you have anything in your tank to control the aiptasia?

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have been fighting the aiptasia battle for years now, I would say pass on anything in a system that has aiptasia. They spread like crazy and are difficult to eradicate. Certain predators such as Peppermint shrimp and Copperband Butterflys as well as some file fish are good at keeping them under control but the only thing I have heard of for complete eradication is Berghia Nudibrach and they are expensive and if they miss just one in a couple of months you are overtaken again.
OK I would possibly make an exception if you are running an ULNS. Part of my problem is that I tend to overfeed my tank so they have plenty of food and reproduce a quick as I can blink.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that a good percentage of reefs that get shut down are because of these little devils, it's simply not worth the risk.

Without intention of quarantining them at home, there is no way I'd ever take home a frag from a tank with Aiptasia. You can add mojano, bubble algae, and flatworms to the list. With a bit of attention, they're easy enough to avoid. Do so.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the guidance everyone. I ultimately decided to pass on making any purchases at that LFS based on the feedback here. I really wanted an aussie torch coral from that store, but was luckily able to find it at another LFS. :cool:

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have aiptasia, it's well worth the effort to avoid getting them (or any other nasties). But heh, if you got aiptasia, you prob have a bunch and one more won't hurt. Lol. Seriously though, not fun. I fought for a year before I got a filefish that knocked them out. Now, I'm afraid to buy frags!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pau Hana Reefer I had a similar experience this weekend. Was at my favorite LFS. Two tanks had aiptasia, and two didn’t. I learned that they were on separate systems so I felt a little better about the frags I bought. But when I got home I still changed the plugs, did a visual, and dipped in CoralRx before putting them into my DT. I have a QT for fish but not frags. I don’t have that much patience!

I also have Aiptasia X ready. So anytime I see the slightest / smallest Aiptasia I try to eliminate it.

I’m trying to get comfortable with the fact that Aiptasia will happen. But I’m trying to actively manage this risk.

U

User1

View Badges
As I have been fighting the aiptasia battle for years now, I would say pass on anything in a system that has aiptasia. They spread like crazy and are difficult to eradicate. Certain predators such as Peppermint shrimp and Copperband Butterflys as well as some file fish are good at keeping them under control but the only thing I have heard of for complete eradication is Berghia Nudibrach and they are expensive and if they miss just one in a couple of months you are overtaken again.
OK I would possibly make an exception if you are running an ULNS. Part of my problem is that I tend to overfeed my tank so they have plenty of food and reproduce a quick as I can blink.

Might as well pass on just about every vendor then. Even if they say they don't there is no guarantee. If it is a concern then the best solution is preventative and you are looking at a QT or isolation system, baths, dips, inspection, and other similar procedures. This way you get to inspect and process before introduction.

It may be visible, Aiptasia, but there are also spores or maybe a better way is sexually and asexually reproduction. So what I'm saying is yes, the frag plug may show no visible signs....but it could still be there. Thus the QT, isolation, baths, dips, etc. It isn't that big of a issue similar to other inconveniences say like ich but comes down to the hobbyist, their thresholds, tolerance, and acceptable risk to mitigate. Some manually remove, some use things that prey on them (peppermint shrimp, copperband, matted filefish, to name a few), but with each comes risk to other life in the tank be it clam, snail, coral, or others.

Example in my case I started the current upgrade with 150 lbs of dry pukani. My 40 breeder that I merged had zero signs of it. So between the two tanks - I shouldn't have any of the stuff. Yet here I am today with it in my tank. However, it is under control by my matted filefish. With that said zoa's are hard to keep and it is eating my Xenia....thus hobbyist threshold or acceptable loss comment.

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty huge coral farm, i have failed a million times. if you dont quarantine EVERYTHING before going into your display you will fail in due time. its the unfortunate truth of this dang hobby but once you get past that, its beautiful.

If theres aptasia on it, you can buy it but do not brush it off never ever brush off aptasia thatll spread it like wild fire. if theres aptasia cut off w/e piece its on and set it in quarantine for a few months.

The right way to buy corals for long term success is to remove frag plugs completely and clean corals then glue them on new frags set them in a quarantine for 2 months and then in your tank.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip with Coral Rx and Bayer, I quarantined, I used all new plugs, I dipped again after QT. Still found aiptasia. So, maybe I suck at quarantine...and dipping....and cutting and gluing frags. :)

Point is...don't NOT use a vendor because you saw aiptasia or worms or whatever. I don't think that's valid as pests are too pervasive. However, if your LFS is practicing poor husbandry, or following bad practices...that would be a valid reason.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've even had it show up 6 months later after getting some live rock!

It is one hard pest to avoid. I just broke down my BioCube a few months back because of the plague Aiptasia can become. I've been fighting Aiptasia in that tank for years, filefish and peppermint shrimp and all. Aiptasia travels up the hoses, gets in overflows, the sump, everywhere that the filefish and shrimp can't reach. I picked up a rock once with it and didn't realize I was crushing a large Aiptasia under my finger until it sent little daggers into my finger...like glass particles. I blistered immediately. Right now, the only tank I know I still have it in is a small Chaeto/pod tank. When I get some time over the Easter Holiday (It's the next big holiday when I'll have time to mess with a larger task), I'll break that tank down too and try to get rid of the Aiptasia once and for all. The trick will be to try and save as many pods and the Chaeto in that tank as I can. I don't quite know how I'm going to go about doing that yet. Anyone know a way to kill Aiptasia hiding in Chaeto without killing the Chaeto? I am resigned to ditch the Chaeto and start fresh with guaranteed pest free Chaeto. I do like the other hitchhikers that often comes in on Chaeto though such as mini stars, baby snails, and emerald crabs. They're a bonus when they come in. :)

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, aiptasia are some of the most prolific and bulletproof pests in the reef aquarium. They spread like a plague and they'll survive a nuclear holocaust.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back