How easily does aiptasia spread?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it depends how much light they get? I have brown, white and striped ones.

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no.luck with peppermint shrimp, filefish ate my pecans, Berghias never lived long enough to clear my aptasia before they go missing in my tank...

I am.only keeping my Aptasia in check with Frank's F-aptasia Killer.

20190213_165722.jpg

This is pretty bad but there is a chance for a cure.

Order the big ones and A LOT of them. they will slowly eat away your aptasia. yes its expensive but it works follow their instructions.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order the big ones and A LOT of them. they will slowly eat away your aptasia. yes its expensive but it works follow their instructions.

I am a patient man, I have tried over 4 different times using Berghias.
You are correct, they need to be big ones. I could only get the big ones one time as most of the time, it is out of stock...

Maybe one last time with extra big ones.....

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a patient man, I have tried over 4 different times using Berghias.
You are correct, they need to be big ones. I could only get the big ones one time as most of the time, it is out of stock...

Maybe one last time with extra big ones.....

Ive tried them a bunch of times and they have worked. make sure you acclimate and you gently put them inside. also if the aptasia is too big they will be eaten so you need to get BIG Bergs.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of great information all. This thread has really come alive and looks to be helping others too. Thanks to everyone for chiming in with your thoughts, experience, and solutions.

I recently added a yellow coris wrasse to my tank. I read that they might eat Berghias. Anyone have experience with this?

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've received frags with aiptasia from just about every online vendor I've bought from at one point or another (all with great reputations and very popular). I think you'd hard pressed to find a store that doesn't have aiptasia somewhere. When I get a frag with aiptasia on it, I use Aiptasia-X on it followed by a covering of superglue and a bit of epoxy. This is works fairly well.

Clinton samuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience actually, but I ended up buying the frags (oops) because I didn't see the aptasia! I've had the frags for a few months and they are slowly growing around the aptasia on the plug. I have tried to grab them with tweezers and cut them, but I haven't had success. While they haven't spread in the time I've had the coral, I feel like it is a time bomb that is waiting to spread. For the peace of mind, I would not recommend it. A lot of the smaller online sellers I have seen have particularly rigorous quarantine measures, so I am looking into that option for the future.
Just mix kalkwasser in ro/di water and pour it on top using a syringe and ua all good bro. I made many and i killed em all

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally it depends I have a LFS that purposely has aptasia in certain tanks to entice aptasia eating fish to well eat aptasia and has a nudibranch feeding tank full of aptasia

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some success eradicating aiptasia using Aiptasia-X. You have to follow up with multiple treatments.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How easy do they spread?

Sneeze in your bedroom, and the aptasia that’s in the living room tank will spread.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky, but I’ve never had much of s problem with aptasia. A peppermint shrimp does quick work of them.

The only thing is that often many shrimp are misidentified as peppermint shrimp and sold as such. These peppermint shrimp lookalikes won’t touch aptasia.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but the peppermint shrimp I’ve bought from LiveAquaria have never failed me.

Back