How easy is it to pair Clownfish?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news, I just noticed the frostbite's right pelvic fin is pretty badly torn. At this point do I remove him and try to find him a new home? put the Female in an isolated box?

It seems like half the day the black/white clown is nice to the other clown, the other half it's a bully

121071380_1034357833668490_480739136737787082_n.jpg
I would leave them together still, as long as things dont get worse. Worse being more injuries and/or current injuries getting infected. If its the acc fin thats damaged, that will take a while to heal. If its just the skin, it should heal in a few days. Its definitely harder to pair two diferent looking clowns, because as previously stated they are bullies to anyone that looks different. If you notice the one clown gets infected, QT. If more tears, try putting the aggressive fish into a breeder box, he may leanr to become more docile and comfortable around the other fish. Put it back into the tank after maybe a week, unless something goes wrong, like the clown still looks like it wants to hurt the other clown through the glass or netting. If nothing else happens like torn fins, then leave them alone, they are working out their pecking order and probably startign to make a decision.

headonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small male black clown first. Later got a larger mocha and they took a day or so to start getting along. I wouldn't say they really ever loved each other though haha

Recently I upgraded the tank and got a phantom clown. Decided to trade the mocha away and this pair seems like a much better fit. They took to each other immediately.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small male black clown first. Later got a larger mocha and they took a day or so to start getting along. I wouldn't say they really ever loved each other though haha

Recently I upgraded the tank and got a phantom clown. Decided to trade the mocha away and this pair seems like a much better fit. They took to each other immediately.
Its always best to pick two same clowns. They get along instantly, and pair in like 2 days. Never had any issues with my clowns. Only once did i see a torn fin, but it was sooooo small. I think it was just my small male taking one last shot at being the female. Didnt work out for him tho lol. I do love my clowns though :)

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much to read here. I bought mine when they were both small. They fought some, eventually one kept growing. They have been a mated pair now for years. They usually don't stray far from their bubble anemone.

They have on a regular basis laid eggs on the rock near their anemone. The male for the most part cares for the eggs while they're growing.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does a fish know how it looks by sight as it can't see itself.
With fixed eyes on each side of the head. The best way I can explain is, can you see your own ears?

As they are born in schools and of course will become familiar with how its brothers and sisters look so it will naturally associate itself by color and shape with them.
As a strange example I wonder if you took a single clown fry and added it to a fry of Cardinals, would it assume that it is the shape and color of a cardinal.

I think fish have other ways of species identification or distinguishing themselves, either through sound, smell, or who knows, not just by site alone.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid thought and question.

Back