How exactly do Apex alarm/notifications work

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an Apex (A3) jr, and after setting up the probes, it was odd to me how the alarm/notification was created for the PH probe.

In the fist screenshot, I configured the PH probe alarm to alert when the values are below or above the threshold I specified. Seems simple enough and that's all I expected it to be.

Img 01
Probe Alarm.png

In the second screenshot, there is an alert configuration which is controlling the PH probe alarm in the previous image. Which seems unnecessary to me.

Img 02
Alert Config.png

I know this because when I switched that configuration (EMAILALM_15) off, I no longer get alerts for that PH probe alert.

Img 03
Alarm dashboard.png

The next screenshot is just to confirm I have notifications enabled for the app.

Img 04
Notification settings.png

So, to summarize, is the behavior I'm seeing by design and expected? I assumed that this type of configuration would have something more like "IF", ">", "<", similar to the examples I've seen in the manual. Also, does this mean there isn't a completed notification alarm for temperature?

Another thing I was wondering is if there some type of reference sheet of all the acronyms used to created code for configurations? I've skimmed through the entire user manual and read the quick reference guide but I have a feeling it's not complete. For example, what exactly does 'Lwr' and 'Upr' mean? I'm assuming Switch 1 Lower, and Switch 2 Upper- but that isn't mentioned anywhere? I looked through the Neptune forums stickies and didn't find anything.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found these articles extremely helpful. I’m not nearly nerdy enough to explain this kind of stuff so it took a few read-throughs to really wrap my head around it all.

Don’t quote me (it’s been almost 6 months since I set mine up) but I believe the Alarm_1_2 is the built-in audible alarm on the Jr base station and can be removed from the dashboard if you don’t use it. The Base_email is the one that results in push notifications. I renamed mine “Water_Alarms” and have all my alarms tied to that one EXCEPT my pH and temp, which can be configured within the settings for those probes.

IMG_6773.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these articles extremely helpful. I’m not nearly nerdy enough to explain this kind of stuff so it took a few read-throughs to really wrap my head around it all.

Don’t quote me (it’s been almost 6 months since I set mine up) but I believe the Alarm_1_2 is the built-in audible alarm on the Jr base station and can be removed from the dashboard if you don’t use it. The Base_email is the one that results in push notifications. I renamed mine “Water_Alarms” and have all my alarms tied to that one EXCEPT my pH and temp, which can be configured within the settings for those probes.

IMG_6773.png

I've browsed those articles on and off for quite some time. You said the ph and temp can be configured within the settings on those probes, but for me, I don't think that's the case.

Every time I got into the ph probe alarm task, it's back to it's default settings. Maybe that's just how it is when you start that task.
That default EMAILALM_15 is really tripping me up, it's sending me notifications for something, but doesn't tell me what. It would be cool if there was a description box under the code. I have not plugged in the water level sensor or the leak detection sensor yet- maybe that's what it's complaining about? But it also doesn't make sense that I literally only get ph notifications if that EMAILALM_15 alarm is on.

Upvote 0

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've browsed those articles on and off for quite some time. You said the ph and temp can be configured within the settings on those probes, but for me, I don't think that's the case.

Every time I got into the ph probe alarm task, it's back to it's default settings. Maybe that's just how it is when you start that task.
That default EMAILALM_15 is really tripping me up, it's sending me notifications for something, but doesn't tell me what. It would be cool if there was a description box under the code. I have not plugged in the water level sensor or the leak detection sensor yet- maybe that's what it's complaining about? But it also doesn't make sense that I literally only get ph notifications if that EMAILALM_15 alarm is on.

If you haven't already, check out the Neptune Community forums. I've had lots of luck there when I run into stuff I don't understand. I wish I could help but I've only set my own up and that was months ago so most of what I learned in the process I haven't thought about since! :)

Upvote 0

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the alarm limits on inputs like PH (or Temp, Salt, Orp) show in the EmailAlm configuration. I have limits set on all my inputs and the only line in my EmailAlm Config is the sump overfull switch command I put there myself.

Where they do show up in under the Advanced tab of the input configuration, see attached. You will see the default alarms on the Basic tab, but if you have set custom limits the "Use Recommended Values" box should not be checked.

Note that the Apex will only alarm one thing at a time. If the PH alarm is on and other alarm states come up you wont see them in the alarm message. If the PH alarm state in cleared the notification will sent the alarm with the next condition it sees.

My notification shows the reason for the alarm (see attached), what is yours showing?

Attachments

• PH Config.jpg
    PH Config.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Alarm.jpg
    Alarm.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have txt notifications, but I do get app notifications, and they look the same as yours. The odd thing is that I only get that probe alert if that default EMAILALM_15 alarm is on.
Maybe I need to finish setting up the entire unit- I haven't done the leak and water level sensors yet.

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so you know you can configure the alarms in either the probe setting screen or the email arlarm tab or even both which is not needed. I generally tend to use the email tab only and turn off all the probe ones. Also when in the probes settings there is 2 spots that it can be enabled 1 in basic and 1 in advanced section. Anyways if you go to the u puts section looks like the picture I posted you can look thru all your probes to see which has an alarm which is shown by the check mark on the right of my picture example showing alkx17 on mine has a check that means alarm is enabled in the probe section. You then can scroll down In that section to see what other probes have alarm set and either disable them or leave them. You need to decide to use either or to make it not complicated

Attachments

• 4C01A28E-8E5B-4976-BFD7-680860D0505E.png
    4C01A28E-8E5B-4976-BFD7-680860D0505E.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
I don't have txt notifications, but I do get app notifications, and they look the same as yours. The odd thing is that I only get that probe alert if that default EMAILALM_15 alarm is on.
Maybe I need to finish setting up the entire unit- I haven't done the leak and water level sensors yet.
No it has nothing to do with it

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know you can configure the alarms in either the probe setting screen or the email arlarm tab or even both which is not needed. I generally tend to use the email tab only and turn off all the probe ones. Also when in the probes settings there is 2 spots that it can be enabled 1 in basic and 1 in advanced section. Anyways if you go to the u puts section looks like the picture I posted you can look thru all your probes to see which has an alarm which is shown by the check mark on the right of my picture example showing alkx17 on mine has a check that means alarm is enabled in the probe section. You then can scroll down In that section to see what other probes have alarm set and either disable them or leave them. You need to decide to use either or to make it not complicated
Explain to me what you exact problem is and what your trying to do and I will help you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what I would expect to be the case.

Probe Alarm.png

Probe configuration.png

Inputs.png

That's literally all I'm trying to do- should be easies thing you can do with an Apex lol.
And I’m not sure how much easier it gets. All you do is set your top points and your bottom point and click send don’t get much easier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your email tablet look like?

I'm not sure I understand where the email tab is. If it's in the notification settings, then there's nothing there since I haven't bothered to set up email alerts.

And I’m not sure how much easier it gets. All you do is set your top points and your bottom point and click send don’t get much easier.

Exactly right. It's not urgent right now, I guess I'll see what their support will find to be the discrepancy here.

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand where the email tab is. If it's in the notification settings, then there's nothing there since I haven't bothered to set up email alerts.

Exactly right. It's not urgent right now, I guess I'll see what their support will find to be the discrepancy here.
I can answer any question you have I’m just not sure what your question is

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Em

Email I5 in middle of screen is my email tab slide the little slider over to the left so you can click the gear icon next to it

Attachments

• 078D1917-4CD9-48C9-A5AB-C1D82E7C8800.png
    078D1917-4CD9-48C9-A5AB-C1D82E7C8800.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Em

Email I5 in middle of screen is my email tab slide the little slider over to the left so you can click the gear icon next to it

Oh, I got you. I posted that above in in the original post- second image.

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I got you. I posted that above in in the original post- second image.
OK so looking at your email tab, you have no redundant alarms so everything should be set and you should be good to go. With that being said, what is your question do you still have one. The way your probe alarms are set up your alarm will go off and send you a push notification to your phone if your pH or temp goes above or below your set threshold.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back