How fast can I drop my alk

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a post earlier asking about new salt and I have since bought the tropic Marin salt. I was looking for salt with lower dkh as I prefer to run lower and the salt I was using was inconsistent and mixed wildly different figures each time I used it.

So now I have picked my new salt I was wondering how long it should take for me to transfer over to the new salt which has a fairly large alk drop. Just tested my tank and it is at 9.8 dkh. Looking to use the new salt to drop it to 8. I only have enough of my old salt for one more water change on my tanks but I don't want to be too aggressive dropping the level.

I was thinking about do a water change every other day gradually lowering the dkh in the change water? Would this work or would I be better doing my weekly changes with the new salt and letting it drop over a matter of months instead? I have a 30 gallon mixed reef mostly lps but some sps and soft corals and a 15 gallon with just soft corals. Thanks

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I move my alk, I shoot to move it up/down by 0.3-0.5 dkh per day. So far I haven't run into any issues. I'd love to hear about how others move their alk.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the brs calculator for alk says not to add enough that would raise alk more than 1dkh in a day. The reverse is true as well (unless a doser malfunctioned and you have a tank at 40, then you need to bring it down immediately) don't lower it more than 1dkh per day.

Two weeks is more than enough time to lower the alk.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the brs calculator for alk says not to add Dante that would raise alk more than 1dkh in a day. The reverse is true as well (unless a doser malfunctioned and you have a tank at 40, then you need to bring it down immediately) don't lower it more than 1dkh per day.

Two weeks is more than enough time to lower the alk.
Great thanks for your help. I thought it would be but I wanted some more input just to make sure

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks for your help. I thought it would be but I wanted some more input just to make sure

Are you dosing now?

If not, a couple weekly water changes and you'd be all set

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing now?

If not, a couple weekly water changes and you'd be all set
I have been dosing to keep it at the current level because I thought it would be better to have higher alk that was stable rather than alk that would jump up every time I did a water change, I was doing this until it was time to buy more salt when I could lower it to a level I am more happy with and I am just about to run out of salt

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back