How fast did your Tang grow?

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In guestimated inches per year, how fast did your Tang grow? Please mention the species as well as the rate.

U

User1

View Badges
Lt. Tang here. Purchased last May '18 and I would say it was around 3" in size. Today it is pushing 6 to 7" easy in about 10 months. I do not know how old it is but I purchased it from live aquaria. It was on the smaller side and is pretty friendly. Mover and shaker for sure always looking for a bite to eat.

Upon first purchase I was putting in the small sheets of nori from two little fishes. They are pretty small I guess compared to the fuller sheets we can buy from the market. Anyway it was eating one a day. I would rotate between green and red/purple. I thought it was starving so added a 2nd sheet. Mistake - it ate that too. Ok, took a step back and now back to a single sheet and it is just as happy. Big. Plump. Full body. Large. It is friendly. Doesn't bother anyone. Tail is starting to show signs of a streamer or just the wide c cup style with some tips. Pretty fish. Loves to dig and move sand around.

Grows fast. Lives in a 210 tank and I feel it is too small for him/her.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a small baby purple Tang and I'm curious how fast they grow.
what size tank do you have and what other kinds of tangs do you have? My tangs I feel like they dont grow but thats also because I stare at them every day:p My purple tang is about 2.5-3 inches and I tried to add a small black eye kole tang and I walked away for about 30 mins came back and the kole's fins were destroyed. I just spent 2 hours taking apart my aquascape and trying to capture the fish. Hes only 1" so he could hide in every cave that existed in my tank

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tail (Purple) tang, who, when I got him about 3 years ago, he was a little bigger than a half dollar. Now he is about 4 inches or so. Great fish, as long as you have enough space for him. Good luck

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the consensus was ~2" per year? So, given an adult max size of ~10" that means most tangs would be fully grown in 4-5 years.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow really quickly when young, ime. A small one can reach the 3-4" mark within a year or so. Then after they get about 1/2 their max size, the growth is slow the rest of the way.

What's the tank size? A young purple will grow fast, and they can be quite mean in smaller tanks.

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect so. Animals with bones certainly grow at a faster rate when juvenile, then completely stop growing upon maturity. But do fish? They don't have bones, but rather cartilage, so the growth profile may be different. My clowns are sexually mature but haven't stopped growing...they have certainly slowed down in growth. I got them as 1" babies, they must of hit 2" by 6 months, but I think they've slowed down now.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue hippo went from quarter size to about ~3-4” in less than 8 months, my chocolate tang went from ~2” to about the same size ~4 during the same time. I was hoping the initial growth would be slower to keep them to move to my next project but the looked and started swimming differently they looked stressed

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back