How fast did your Tang grow?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect so. Animals with bones certainly grow at a faster rate when juvenile, then completely stop growing upon maturity. But do fish? They don't have bones, but rather cartilage, so the growth profile may be different. My clowns are sexually mature but haven't stopped growing...they have certainly slowed down in growth. I got them as 1" babies, they must of hit 2" by 6 months, but I think they've slowed down now.

Almost all fish we keep have bones. Exceptions are sharks/rays/skates, sturgeon, paddlefish, and some i'm probably forgetting.

Fishes are in the indeterminate growth category, as apposed to humans that have determinate growth. They grow quickly when young, but then continue to grow slowly basically until death.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow really quickly when young, ime. A small one can reach the 3-4" mark within a year or so. Then after they get about 1/2 their max size, the growth is slow the rest of the way.

What's the tank size? A young purple will grow fast, and they can be quite mean in smaller tanks.
that is basically my experience in terms of growth as well.
I rescued my purple when he was about 3" about three years ago now and in that time it's actually probably doubled in size by weight but I'd be surprised if a quarter of an inch has been gained in length.
as far as temperament, my experience with this fish has been it gives fish a hard time for a day when they're introduced but that's it. I wish my wrasses shared the same docile nature ;Rage

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tormini and Hawaiian Sailfin Tang have been slow growers in my 150 gallon tank. My Vlamangi has tripled in size in the past 2 years

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fastest and more than once is Yellow tang, and sohal and dussomieri was my faster growing 4-5X the size in the first year. Wish my acro grew that quick

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a purple tang the size of a half dollar size, he is apprx close to 3inches now. I feed 3 times a day of meaty foods and algae sheets every other day. Ive had him for about 6 months now.
Unfortuantly every other tang i tried to put in he demolishes them. Got a huge yellow tang thinking he would be afarid of him, but nope not the case. But he is my favorite

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pacific blue tang, arrived from Live Aquaria around the size of a nickel, he went into QT and over the course of around 5 weeks, went to the size of about a half dollar, he's been in the Display now for 5 months, and growth has slowed but he's a healthy 3 inches of fury now. He has to compete with a 6" sailfin and purcula tang, as well as a healthy 4"+ yellow tang.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most juvenile tangs can grow 1-4 inches in a year, after that they begin to slow. I’ve had Sailfin and hippo grow 3+ inches in a year.

If you start with a 2-3 inch tang more than likely an inch per year maybe two is the range.

Some fish such as dussumeiri tangs can grow several inches per year for the first few years.

Most other zebrasoma tangs seem to grow more slowly, 1” per year max until about 3 inches and then .25-.75 per year thereafter slowing as they age.

Of course with tangs the amount of food and quality of nutrition play a large role.

Last edited:

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lt. Tang here. Purchased last May '18 and I would say it was around 3" in size. Today it is pushing 6 to 7" easy in about 10 months. I do not know how old it is but I purchased it from live aquaria. It was on the smaller side and is pretty friendly. Mover and shaker for sure always looking for a bite to eat.

Very similar growth rate for my own LT tang. He's about 8" now and about 1" wide.

Had a vlamingi several years ago that grew from about 1.5" to over 9" in about 9 months. It never stopped eating. :0)

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang free about an inch a year when it was under 6”. After that not so much.
Salicin is about the same.
Yellow and purple is about half an inch a year I think, when they are under 4”.
Powder brown, kole, and tomini didn’t really grow much. Not noticeable at all I have to say. Maybe half an inch a year? My guess is less than that.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid I cannot believe that growth rate
Well, you don’t have to believe it but it’s true :) I couldn’t believe how fast she grew either! I think they added steroids in the pellets I feed them lol

Last edited:

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid I cannot believe that growth rate

AB137ACE-0AC4-450B-A644-A272B9C763D7.jpeg Here she is taken a week ago

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back