OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used lots of garlic but the problem with that is it really makes your tank stink. My skimmate was flat out gross, I mean grosser than normal.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the last article on phosphates in food I modified my recipe to be mostly fresh shrimp, throw in a few oysters for flavor. A few drops of garlic juice and selcon. I lay it out flat and vacuum seal it in regular vaccum seel bags. Once frozen chunks can be broke off just like large packages you buy from stores

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I would have used that garlic...it's probably full of phosphates and other stuff you don't want in the fish tank.

I usually just get the nori sheets (seaweed), peeled shrimp, and whole squid from the local Asian store....put it in a blender, then pour it into ice trays. I use the ice trays that make disks about 1in diameter, and have a rubber bottom so they punch out easier....I didn't say easy. Sometimes your fingers will be sore from pushing them out. I usually do about a pound of shrimp and a pound of squid. It makes about three to four sandwich baggies full of disks.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I would have used that garlic...it's probably full of phosphates and other stuff you don't want in the fish tank.

I usually just get the nori sheets (seaweed), peeled shrimp, and whole squid from the local Asian store....put it in a blender, then pour it into ice trays. I use the ice trays that make disks about 1in diameter, and have a rubber bottom so they punch out easier....I didn't say easy. Sometimes your fingers will be sore from pushing them out. I usually do about a pound of shrimp and a pound of squid. It makes about three to four sandwich baggies full of disks.

Agreed, and IMHO it was too much garlic with the Garlic Guard as well. LOL my house smelled like garlicy skimmate if I didn't change it daily...

Seasquirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's the same way I do it, throw everything in the grocery store fresh fish department in it (but don't need much of any one thing, I think ingredients run about $10) and coarsely blend. I started making my own fishfood beefheart mix when I was breeding show discus about 9 years ago. After the experience of cleaning beef hearts and grinding them, this is easy peasy! I feed about 1.5sq" daily to my 140 mixed reef, and the fish and corals go bonkers for it. Cheap too!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You feed beef hearts? I've never heard of this, and I live on a farm and well we have beef heart from time to time lol....

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used wild caught gulf shrimp for the majority of my foods base, as well as alot of squid. I don't recommend octopus anymore because its hard to process and the fish dont seem to care. One thing I REALLY like (so do my fish) was adding Spirulina power to the mix. 60% protein containing all the essential amino acids? Yes Please.

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's the same way I do it, throw everything in the grocery store fresh fish department in it (but don't need much of any one thing, I think ingredients run about $10) and coarsely blend. I started making my own fishfood beefheart mix when I was breeding show discus about 9 years ago. After the experience of cleaning beef hearts and grinding them, this is easy peasy! I feed about 1.5sq" daily to my 140 mixed reef, and the fish and corals go bonkers for it. Cheap too!

I have heard beef hearts used in SW food as well. Can I get you to say exactly what you were adding it in for?

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a garlic tip for those wanting to use it, but who are control freaks like me. I take 1 clove of elephant garlic ( I hate peeling the small ones) and grade it against the fine part of the cheese grader. I than put it in a coffee filter and strain RO water through it. 20 min of it soaking and remove filter and all the garlic you are left w/ an extract that you only need a tiny bit of, and you know exactly what it is.

Also for those shelling the shrimp, it is good to throw the shells in too. A lot of fish, especially predictors need the nutrition from the whole animal including the shells.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back