How I drill tanks

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be drilling a 20 gallon high for a fuge, hopefully this week for reference pics, but for now, it will be mostly just words :). I have drilled a couple tanks, and find it to be quite easy. I take a cordless or corded drill (after marking the location of the hole) and put the bit in. With a hose moving water across the glass, I start the hole at a 45 degree angle, and slowely move toward a 90 degree angle, allowing for the bit to cut a groove. Once the bit is at a 90 degree angle, I put no pressure on the bit, and go about half speed until I can see water dripping through the glass. I then slow down to avoid a messy hole, and keep going until the piece of glass dops onto a towel below. That is about it, just remember, do NOT put pressure on the drill, and keep in mind, petco is running the dollar a gallon sale, so try a 10 gallon tank to start, so if you mess up, it is only 10 bucks, not the big tank, or more expensive one you want to drill :)

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put down some painters tape and mark where im gonna start my hole helps the bit grab and not slip

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some puddy around where the hole was going to be and fileld it with water, this way I didnt have to have running water going!

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also put putty down and make a dam to hold the water. I use a drill with a level on the back so that it shows when I am drilling straight down.

EAR PLUGS :)

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the glass holes,com kit for an overflow, then I made a stencil out of some plywood and a wood hole saw and duck taped it down where the return would be. It is very easy this way, the drill will not dance around on the glass if the stencil is secure and deep enough. Drilling straight onto the glass can be tough because the drill will want to break dance every where.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back