How important are under-cabinet aesthetics to you?

How much do you care about under cabinet aesthetics?

• I don’t care what it looks like as long as it works

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I try to keep it looking nice, but don’t put much effort into it

Votes: 67 63.2%
  • I keep it pristine like the engine of a show car

Votes: 20 18.9%

• Total voters

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area inside my tank works as a storage area and I could care less what it looks like. The DT on the other hand is really all that people should put there time and effort into. I went over to a friends house last year and his tank looked like garbage but he showed me under the stand and it was meticulously organized. I’m not one to hold back my opinion so I told him his undertank storage area etc.. was the best I’ve seen but that his tank looked horrible, that he should probably spend the time he has with doing something with the DT instead of inside the stand.
Disagree. Perhaps to him, the display tank and the guts below were exactly as he intended. What I love about this hobby is there isn’t a right or wrong way (generally speaking). A lot of times it’s just preference or opinion or personal taste. To some the display is all that matters. To others, it’s whats behind/below the display that matters. You do you.

We all love reefing. We can love it for vastly different reasons.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wires everywhere attract salt.... and if anyone has seen 3-5 yr old setups that are not routinely wiped down ...well water, salt and electricity are dangerous....
I personally like clean organized and wiped down which makes things last longer if for no other reason than you notice issues ..this is not possible in a disorganized salty mess underneath
A9D30AAD-AF35-443A-853C-2406E1C72B78.jpeg
Probably should post this in a build thread or diy as I’m building a cabinet as we speak with underneath organization safety and wipe down maintenance being primary
4958E603-2465-4B89-91EB-DF048D83627B.jpeg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that bin to the left and what do the labels say?

That is my saltwater mixing bin. I used a Resturant NSF grade Lexon with a lid. I also have to power head to mixed the salt and RO/DI. I use the DOS for my water changes and one of the DOS pumps pulls the new saltwater out of the bin and old saltwater out of the sump for my water changes.

I also have to sensors mounter on the side of the bin. One to shut down the power heads when the water is low and the other to shut down the DOS if the water get to low. I also have a drain in the bottom piped into a central drain.

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m holding out for the Red Sea AIO for just this reason. After peeking under the hood of other setups I realized I want more than a tote. I want those pretty white and red pipes and all matchy-matchy, power strip thing in other side, etc. Willing to wait til I can get what I want, there’s often times I have to wait because am too particular. I agree with others, not a right or wrong way if it is what you want. (As long as it’s good for the critters involved too of course)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but not extreme
EEB35BD0-1D15-4BB6-AD73-2BE38E51C3E1.jpeg

1187B006-AC8A-43C6-BBE3-578EB9588CCA.jpeg
Has that American DJ strip given you any trouble? I had one a long time ago and within the first month I had two switches/outlets burn out on me.

Also, McCormicks huh? you dont give the tank the good stuff eh? :p I guess ethanol is ethanol?

Nice looking setup !

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has that American DJ strip given you any trouble? I had one a long time ago and within the first month I had two switches/outlets burn out on me.

Also, McCormicks huh? you dont give the tank the good stuff eh? :p I guess ethanol is ethanol?

Nice looking setup !
Thanks! 18 months and no issues with the power strip. Probably just jinxed it!

as for the cheap vodka, I bought that bottle cause it was the cheapest glass I could find!
I mix w vinegar and rodi and make my own NoPox.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! 18 months and no issues with the power strip. Probably just jinxed it!

as for the cheap vodka, I bought that bottle cause it was the cheapest glass I could find!
I mix w vinegar and rodi and make my own NoPox.
What, your fish and corals ain't worth a good bottle of Grey Goose, LOL!!!

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t care at all what my sump area looks
Like at all. Mine is a home made sump with a shelf that my skimmer and rowa sits on, a big fuge and wires everywhere lol not near the water or fire hazard everywhere but yeah they are out there. Tank looks awesome so I don’t care

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told myself i wouldnt post pics of my cabinet but oh well. I like ugly cabinets and I cannot lie lol. I need to drill my refuge and install waterproof panel for the wall

20191011_190103.jpg 20191011_190024.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump area is so small ( 20x20) all I have room for is my sump a trigger systems cube. And a shelf for my DOS, all cabling run to a outside cabinet where I keep my apex.
is the sump pristine no. I try though

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention, that the doors are off of my stand more often than not. There is always something I need to mess with, so I often leave them off....but that is changing now that my daughter is walking.
You can bet your sweet hiney that those doors will be back up in this case! As a father of 4, I can attest to that and also tell you that clownfish will throw a huge temper tantrum if you take their Legos away! Best to not let Nemo have Legos in the first place and save the argument.
Recently the under cabinet space and controller section have been picking at my nerves. I’m just not that good with planning and placement yet, only been in the salt hobby 13 years or so though. I’d be happy to hire someone to go thru and organize and setup everything and maintain it from that point. As mentioned before, being a father of 4 the somewhat of a rat nest of wires from the tank aren’t as bad as the Barbie and Army men massacre that’s normally in the same viewing region as the tank so it’s relative.
I am envious of all the great looking sump setups. This thread may be the kick in the pants I needed to fix it up this weekend.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back