How large of an aqauarium would you have?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading my 65 gallon reef tank and transferring everything to my basement where I can then have a much larger fish tank. I currently have a lot of room to work with but was wondering how large is too large.. I want something that is a rectangle but that is also easy to reach inside of it. I plan on having it a few feet off of the wall in my cement basement. I just am unsure if having a 7 foot long tank is insane or not... what size tank is able to have a lot of fish but that is still manageable?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very personal question and is difficult to answer for someone else. Sounds like you are an experienced reefer, and already have a good idea of what you are capable of...

I would love an 1,000g aquarium but my wife would kill me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very personable question and is difficult to answer for someone else. Sounds like you are an experienced reefer, and already have a good idea of what you are capable of...

I would love an 1,000g aquarium but my wife would kill me!
I agree with everything you mentioned above… I guess my question is… when does it become TOO much? Like even with a 1000 gallon… where do you even begin? Tank > stand > filtration> plumbing > stocking?

I made my current stand and would love to do something similar just am unsure at what point it’s too big and I am in over my head..

How many tangs and stuff can even realistically be fine in a 8 foot tank?

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading my 65 gallon reef tank and transferring everything to my basement where I can then have a much larger fish tank. I currently have a lot of room to work with but was wondering how large is too large.. I want something that is a rectangle but that is also easy to reach inside of it. I plan on having it a few feet off of the wall in my cement basement. I just am unsure if having a 7 foot long tank is insane or not... what size tank is able to have a lot of fish but that is still manageable?
I have a Waterbox 220.6. It’s a decent size. I don’t think I would want anything smaller, but would definitely go bigger. A 7’ tank is not insane. The longer the better. Go for it!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 Feet is insane
8 feet is not
2021060413445626--8366068108165991276-IMG_3660-edited-XL.jpg

You cant put as many fish as you would think because they get big.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6. It’s a decent size. I don’t think I would want anything smaller, but would definitely go bigger. A 7’ tank is not insane. The longer the better. Go for it!
That’s the funny thing… the water volume isn’t much larger from a 6 foot to a 8 foot tank… I am getting a little crazy but could literally make it at least 8 feet.. but where would I start looking for tanks that big? I don’t want to need a moving company to get everything inside…

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything you mentioned above… I guess my question is… when does it become TOO much? Like even with a 1000 gallon… where do you even begin? Tank > stand > filtration> plumbing > stocking?

I made my current stand and would love to do something similar just am unsure at what point it’s too big and I am in over my head..

How many tangs and stuff can even realistically be fine in a 8 foot tank?
The question becomes your ability to handle the costs and maintenance of the larger unit? I‘m thrilled to read your build thread but the cost and upkeep falls on you.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 Feet is insane
8 feet is not
2021060413445626--8366068108165991276-IMG_3660-edited-XL.jpg

You cant put as many fish as you would think because they get big.
I love it… even gives me ideas for my current tank as if I upgraded I’d probably abandon my current tank to collect dust.. two tanks sound like even more fun.. until ich and whatnot shows up!

Okay so 8 foot tank… drilled obviously? Through the floor or through the back?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it… even gives me ideas for my current tank as if I upgraded I’d probably abandon my current tank to collect dust.. two tanks sound like even more fun.. until ich and whatnot shows up!

Do they have to be acrylic if they are that large? Don’t really see many 96 inch glass tanks?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Currently have a 660g with a 1500g awaiting my go-ahead. I'd take a 3000g if I could. Just never too big on my behalf

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back. Everything is in the next room to run them.

Dream away.
https://www.customaquariums.com/configurator/

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 660g with a 1500g awaiting my go-ahead. I'd take a 3000g if I could. Just never too big on my behalf
You must be married to a saint!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the funny thing… the water volume isn’t much larger from a 6 foot to a 8 foot tank… I am getting a little crazy but could literally make it at least 8 feet.. but where would I start looking for tanks that big? I don’t want to need a moving company to get everything inside…
Planet Aquarium has 96” tanks for sale.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back