How level is level?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bcarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone comment on the margin of error here? Setup is a Reefer 350. There is a slight back to front lean, side to side looks ok. Looking into leveling it, but I noticed the stand has feet, at least 2 of them, in the center braces under the bottom of it... No way I could get a shim in there while also getting the front and sides correct. Thanks for any support.
IMG-1715.jpg
IMG-1716.jpg
IMG-1717.jpg
IMG-1718.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty bad front to back for such a short distance. Worth shimming the front in my opinion. Left to right looks pretty good but tough to tell with a 12" level over a 4' span.

OP
OP
bcarm

bcarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, should I be concerned about the feet that run under the tank?
unnamed.jpg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get an approx level. Fill water up halfway and let it sit for at least a week. Adjust, then fill the rest of the water for final adjustment.

OP
OP
bcarm

bcarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is in fact what I am trying to do before putting water in it. Did you have to shim your stand? Did you do anything about the stand feet pictured above?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to shim a lot as mine is sitting on a carpet. I don’t think you can get a true 100%, but a 95% I would say acceptable which where mine is at now.

OP
OP
bcarm

bcarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you! So much for buying new construction! This wall is right on the beam...

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you! So much for buying new construction! This wall is right on the beam...
No worries. I set mine up along with my 120 right by the foyer area where I walk in from the front entrance. So they are sitting on concrete.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to get it 100 percent on all sides because most tanks aren’t 100 percent square/plumb/level to begin with. It will help to use some 1/16th inch plastic shims. Placed under each foot that needs it. If your in between 1/16th on your level, then your good to go. Shim it first then add water half way and reshim as needed. I use a big pry bar to lift the stand while I add shims. Stabila levels are the best but laser levels are more accurate for multiple sized surfaces.
let me lay an example;
Say you need to shim the front to back 1/8th-
Place (1) 1/8th shim on the front leg, then (1) 1/16th shim on the middle leg, and zero on the back leg.

OP
OP
bcarm

bcarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I guess I will just ignore the 2 feet in the center bottom of the stand. Can't really get at them anyways.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I guess I will just ignore the 2 feet in the center bottom of the stand. Can't really get at them anyways.
If the middle is hard on tile and you only need to shim the edges an 1/8th, then I wouldn’t worry about it. The middle could sag with the sump weight on it, but 1/8 is minimal. The crucial part are the 4 corners.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help here. I should note that excessive sagging in the middle will flex your stand so make 1/8th your max tolerance so your safe. Enjoy the new reef as soon as you can haha!

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank that is not truly level and placed on a rigid surface is asking for problems. The fluid nature of glass combined with gravity will cause it to seek out true level and put unnecessary stress on the seams and panels. Put your tank on a 3/4" layer of foamboard and even if the stand is terribly off level the tank with be spot on.

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used those airbag things and as many composite shims as I could - filled it up part way and used the water line as my ‘true’ level as even my 4ft level was marginally off when it came right down to it.

Having it level means I can sleep at night!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back