How long can fish go without food?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going on a very sudden trip in less than 2 days for 4 days total, my fish tank has been established for 7+ months now and I feed them once everyday. Would 4 days be ok without food?

I have 2 clownfish, 1 red firefish, 1 banggai cardinal, 1 flasher wrasse, and 1 tomini tang.

Last edited:

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to give someone access to your place to help you out with the feeding while you’re gone if possible. Otherwise, maybe you could get your hands on an auto feeder before you leave? If neither of those options are possible, they *should* be ok if they’re in good shape otherwise, but it’s not ideal and will probably stress them.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would absolutely be alive when you came back. No question about it. Still, you should consider a cheap autofeeder from amazon. They're like $15.

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaving in less than 2 days, I checked with near pet stores and local fish store and they dont have one, so yea I cant get one
They can last Like a week or 2, i go on trips for a week all the time without feeding them.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to give someone access to your place to help you out with the feeding while you’re gone if possible. Otherwise, maybe you could get your hands on an auto feeder before you leave? If neither of those options are possible, they *should* be ok if they’re in good shape otherwise, but it’s not ideal and will probably stress them.
Yea I dont really have anyone that can help me feed the fish whilst Im gone, and I cant get an auto feeder since lfs doesnt have it and Im leaving in less than 2 days so I cant order it online either.

I'll be feeding them a lot today to fatten them up a little, thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely get a autofeeder when I get back for future trips.

Also a question, how do you train your fish to eat pellets? I've been feeding mine frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp ever since I got them

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I dont really have anyone that can help me feed the fish whilst Im gone, and I cant get an auto feeder since lfs doesnt have it and Im leaving in less than 2 days so I cant order it online either.

I'll be feeding them a lot today to fatten them up a little, thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely get a autofeeder when I get back for future trips.

Also a question, how do you train your fish to eat pellets? I've been feeding mine frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp ever since I got them

If they don't eat pellets at all, start by soaking the pellets in the frozen food leftover water to get that "fresh" food scent in there.

Then start feeding them with the frozen thawed food so that they might accidentally eat one and think "oh ****, thats not too bad".

I also found it helps if one fish eats pellets, the others will also learn to eat them as well

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days without food is not a problem at all - there will be something to eat in the tank in the meanwhile..

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
auto feeder shouldn't be hard to find, any LFS or pet store should have it. If at all possible, better to try to get an auto feeder, you must have known about this trip before today

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish can go a month or more without food some fish can go a lot more. 4 days will be fine. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back