How long can fish go without food?

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns and one fire fish. Wondering whether I should buy the crappy top fin auto feeder? Planning on being gone for 5 days.
I have already ordered an Ehiem auto feeder, just won’t be in for a month.

OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help if a friend could stop in just once in the middle of the time to give your fish a good meal.
No one in town that I am really friendly enough with that I would trust leaving a key to my apartment for, but this will always be my first choice.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i now use the eheim feeder that dumps into a piece of acrylic tube to get the food to stay in the tank and not just dump down the overflow. That works great and i dont have to stress out that my fish are going full roadwarrior while im out.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one in town that I am really friendly enough with that I would trust leaving a key to my apartment for, but this will always be my first choice.
I understand. It's not always possible to live near someone who can help.

I have an eheim flake feeder that I used while I was out of town 23 days this past summer. I did have my sister and son each stop in once a week but my fish and tank did fine while I was gone. That feeder works great.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns and one fire fish. Wondering whether I should buy the crappy top fin auto feeder? Planning on being gone for 5 days.
I have already ordered an Ehiem auto feeder, just won’t be in for a month.
I would make sure the support level is ok for those 5 days. For example, do you have an ATO to handle evaporation, temp control, flow, etc if you’re not home.

OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i now use the eheim feeder that dumps into a piece of acrylic tube to get the food to stay in the tank and not just dump down the overflow. That works great and i dont have to stress out that my fish are going full roadwarrior while im out.
I understand. It's not always possible to live near someone who can help.

I have an eheim flake feeder that I used while I was out of town 23 days this past summer. I did have my sister and son each stop in once a week but my fish and tank did fine while I was gone. That feeder works great.
Thanks for sharing! I see some at an LFS on the coast so I am glad I chose that brand!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish will be fine but I’d be more worried about corals if you have any.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine- but I don't get why? A decent auto feeder costs next to nothing :) You wouldn't go away for five days and not feed your dog - why your fish? We have pets. We are obliged to care for these pets the best we can.

Get that auto feeder, and care for your fish please!

Merry Christmas! :)

Last edited:

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will be fine- but I don't get why? A decent auto feeder costs next to nothing :) You wouldn't go away for five days and not feed your dog - why your fish? We have pets. We are obliged to care for these pets the best we can.

Get that auto feeder, and care for your fish please!

Merry Christmas! :)

I thought I was the only one thinking this, LOL!!

My fish cant go a day with out food, every time I walk up to the tank they swim to me thinking they are getting fed. Of course my local LFS has told me my fish need to go on a diet..

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My fish cant go a day with out food, every time I walk up to the tank they swim to me thinking they are getting fed. Of course my local LFS has told me my fish need to go on a diet..
Exactly!! They are always hungry and gets almost offended if you don't drop in a wee pinch of food whenever you pass the tank :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It's like your dog wanting a treat when you come home after going anywhere! My fish are my pets- they are a part of the family just as much as my three dogs are!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fair and good point, but just to offer another perspective - There are many fish that do not eat flake or pellets. For example I feed primarily frozen food to my tank since I have some puffers and other fish that will only eat frozen. A auto feeder wont help with that (maybe that will change one day). There's also the possibility of auto feeders failing and dumping a whole bunch of food in the tank.

All that being said, given the fish that the OP has and how cheap auto feeders are nowadays, its not a bad idea to invest in one.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly!! They are always hungry and gets almost offended if you don't drop in a wee pinch of food whenever you pass the tank :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It's like your dog wanting a treat when you come home after going anywhere! My fish are my pets- they are a part of the family just as much as my three dogs are!
Dont want to hi jack this thread, but this is what a happy fish looks like, LOL!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back