How long do Dinos live?

martin3490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been battling dinos in my 95g tank as both my phosphate and nitrate kept bottoming out. I finally raised my nitrates and phosphates and notice that they are starting to die. How long should I keep my phos and nitrates elevated so they completely die? if anyone can help thanks!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the nutrients up, otherwise the dinos will come back. Generally you want to have at least 0,03ppm phosphate and 5ppm nitrate at all times. The phosphate is particularly important. If they bottom out again, the dinos might come back, and your photosynthetic organisms will suffer.

It's not realistic to completely eliminate dinos in a reef tank. The goal is just to keep conditions at something that isn't hospitable to them, which causes them to only be present in very low, harmless numbers.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been battling dinos in my 95g tank as both my phosphate and nitrate kept bottoming out. I finally raised my nitrates and phosphates and notice that they are starting to die. How long should I keep my phos and nitrates elevated so they completely die? if anyone can help thanks!
Dinos will be suppressed so long as you prevent nutrients from bottoming out.

Nutrients have more positive effects than just Dino control: Food for beneficial organisms in reef tank and coral nutrients for quicker growth and immune system. We need nutrients in our tanks.

OP
OP
M

martin3490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will be suppressed so long as you prevent nutrients from bottoming out.

Nutrients have more positive effects than just Dino control: Food for beneficial organisms in reef tank and coral nutrients for quicker growth and immune system. We need nutrients in our tanks.
Whats the best bottled bacteria to use on my tank? I use microbector 7 but I dont know to to feel about it.

OP
OP
M

martin3490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the nutrients up, otherwise the dinos will come back. Generally you want to have at least 0,03ppm phosphate and 5ppm nitrate at all times. The phosphate is particularly important. If they bottom out again, the dinos might come back, and your photosynthetic organisms will suffer.

It's not realistic to completely eliminate dinos in a reef tank. The goal is just to keep conditions at something that isn't hospitable to them, which causes them to only be present in very low, harmless numbers.
Yea im not letting my levels bottom out but i did a small water change a while back to bring phos and nitrate down, but they didnt bottom out they were at about .28ppm phos and 10ppm nitarte . When i did that I noticed that the Dinos started coming back so i started raising my levels again.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you keep nutrients above those levels until your rock is nice and established, that should pretty much prevent the dinos from coming back. Or you could just keep them at that level permanently- it's fine for pretty much any corals you'd want to keep.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back