How long do fish live

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few dish die recently and I was wondering how long do fish live in a reef aquarium or salt water aquarium?
I had a yellow tang for 15 years that died a month ago and a flame wrasse that I found dead last night, which I had for 5 years. I replaced the tang and I am thinking about replacing wrasse, but their deaths got me wondering how long is an average or expected life span in an aquarium for different fish.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few dish die recently and I was wondering how long do fish live in a reef aquarium or salt water aquarium?
I had a yellow tang for 15 years that died a month ago and a flame wrasse that I found dead last night, which I had for 5 years. I replaced the tang and I am thinking about replacing wrasse, but their deaths got me wondering how long is an average or expected life span in an aquarium for different fish.
From my understanding Tangs can live 30+ years in the wild but in captivity it is generally less

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years seems relatively long for a flame wrasse if, especially if you got him as a male / super male. Part of the reason I don't keep fairy wrasses anymore is most of them only lived less then 5 years for me, and these days they are quite expensive.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown fish that lived in my tanks for over 30 years. But most fish I keep last several years. I tend to stay away from the more delicate fish because they don't last that long in captivity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A very general question as it depends on tank condition, diet and overall health
I have a cleaner wrasse approaching 7 years
They generally last a year or two

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 for a tang is a pretty good age. Some do live much longer but it can be hard to know how old they were when we bought them.
5 for that species of wrasse is also a fair age going by the same logic so it sounds like you have a nice environment for the fish to live a good life span.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish rarely die from old age in captivity.
Clowns and tangs can easily reach 30+ years.
I would look out for diseases or other ailments before adding new fish.

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 for a tang is a pretty good age. Some do live much longer but it can be hard to know how old they were when we bought them.
5 for that species of wrasse is also a fair age going by the same logic so it sounds like you have a nice environment for the fish to live a good life span.
I try to keep a good environment for my fish and if when they do die I try to find out if some condition I introduce to the tank that kills them.

OP
OP
Jimmyneptune

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years seems relatively long for a flame wrasse if, especially if you got him as a male / super male. Part of the reason I don't keep fairy wrasses anymore is most of them only lived less then 5 years for me, and these days they are quite expensive.
I agree. I think the 5 year mark has been what I have been reaching for fairy wrasse. I wonder if other people have had fairy wrasse longer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back