How long do you quarantine your fish?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
535
Reaction score
493
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any of my new additions I usually quarantine for at least two weeks. The first couple of days I just strictly observe to make sure there's no obvious symptoms or issues. Then I usually treat for parasites both in the water and food to be on the safe side as I know ich can remain dormant for a while before making an appearance. I was curious to know what other peoples quarantine process was like.
 
For any of my new additions I usually quarantine for at least two weeks. The first couple of days I just strictly observe to make sure there's no obvious symptoms or issues. Then I usually treat for parasites both in the water and food to be on the safe side as I know ich can remain dormant for a while before making an appearance. I was curious to know what other peoples quarantine process was like.

Observational quarantine processes can let a lot of diseases slip through. I only use that process for very delicate fish, that will not be going into a tank with valuable animals (quarantine isn't just for the new fish, it is also to protect the existing fish in the display tank). When used, an observational quarantine needs to be done for 40 to 45 days....

Here is our updated, proactive quarantine process:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/
 
When I did my own quarantine, I waited 2 days or so to get the fish eating, then I did 28+ days in copper, and another 5-6 days in Prazi.
Now I do Dr. Reef.
 
I keep new fish for 7 days under copperpower. Another 7 days in low salinity. If no signs of disease and eating well, off they go into the main display.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new