How long does palytoxins last in water?!

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just removed a frag of nuclear green palys after finding out how toxic and invasive they were. One was stuck to the rock pretty good so I pulled on it and it excreted brown juice which I believe to be the toxins. I took out all that I could in the water but that process stressed me the f out. There was still some free floaters so I added some chemipure blue carbon to remove whatever was left. Question is how long will that stuff last in there? Also if these somehow pop up again in The tank what’s the procedure to get rid of them. Tanks is a 13.5 for reference.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just removed a frag of nuclear green palys after finding out how toxic and invasive they were. One was stuck to the rock pretty good so I pulled on it and it excreted brown juice which I believe to be the toxins. I took out all that I could in the water but that process stressed me the f out. There was still some free floaters so I added some chemipure blue carbon to remove whatever was left. Question is how long will that stuff last in there? Also if these somehow pop up again in The tank what’s the procedure to get rid of them. Tanks is a 13.5 for reference.
Honestly, the nuc green palytoxin is overblown.

Unless you have a sensitivity to it or sensitive skin, your filter will easily remove it pretty quickly without issue without harm to you

Pending you are filtering it....

Fwiw all my zoas release a brownish "juice" when i rip their bodies off the rockwork.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the nuc green palytoxin is overblown.

Unless you have a sensitivity to it or sensitive skin, your filter will easily remove it pretty quickly without issue without harm to you

Pending you are filtering it....

Fwiw all my zoas release a brownish "juice" when i rip their bodies off the rockwork.
Well that’s the thing. It’s an aio so I have filter floss and carbon under it but that’s all the filtration I have.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s the thing. It’s an aio so I have filter floss and carbon under it but that’s all the filtration I have.
That would suffice....

I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Like i said...unless you break out when you lay in grass.......
Lisa Simpson Sneezing GIF by The Simpsons

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it excreted brown juice which I believe to be the toxins
Not exactly. They aren't like snakes that pump venom out of their fangs, lol.
All zoas, palys, mushrooms, and probably lots of other corals will "bleed" if you rip them off a rock. I'm not sure what parts of the corals actually carry the toxin but as others have said, you're probably fine with the carbon.

To answer your other question, aiptasia-x, kalk paste, etc will kill them if you find more.

Fwiw, I literally just had my hands in my tank -no gloves - and was scraping some algae off a rock that has the same palys on it... Unless I'm hallucinating, I think I'm fine ;)

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some nuclear green zoas. That's what that junk he puked up was when I pulled him off the rock yesterday...
Haha yes I believe that’s what it is. Just used some gloves and washed eveything off after. Those suckers went straight into the trash… I’m not trying to deal with that and no one locally would take them lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hit/miss with what we define as nuclear green paly. Given that you can still type I think you and your tank are okay. Some carbon is still a good idea. The brown rough/sandy ones can really get you.

It is really 1/1000 of serious trouble but the tail risk is really ugly. While very remote, I have seen vision loss and the amputation of a thumb in extreme examples. We should (as consumers at least) remove them from the hobby. Just not worth the small risk IMHO as they are not that beautiful.

There are a few SPS that give me skin blisters when contacted. Nothing major; just something else I have to account for. With gloves.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? I have what was labeled as "Captain Jerks". I am curious if they are the same?
Don’t have any pics but those captain jerks look sick. If you look up nuclear green palys they’re the green with black lines running through the polyp head.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly. They aren't like snakes that pump venom out of their fangs, lol.
All zoas, palys, mushrooms, and probably lots of other corals will "bleed" if you rip them off a rock. I'm not sure what parts of the corals actually carry the toxin but as others have said, you're probably fine with the carbon.

To answer your other question, aiptasia-x, kalk paste, etc will kill them if you find more.

Fwiw, I literally just had my hands in my tank -no gloves - and was scraping some algae off a rock that has the same palys on it... Unless I'm hallucinating, I think I'm fine ;)
Makes me feel a lot better.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back