How long during grow out stage?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given 6 baby clowns from another member here and I have them setup in one of my QT tanks to grow out. They are currently about 1/2” and too small for my big tank. How long did it take you to get them grown out enough to survive in a reef? Just looking for opinions, I’m not in a rush and they are doing great in my QT.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth rate depends on the species. For example, Ocellaris mature faster than Percula. However, if you feed them a lot, they'll grow quicker as well. Given that they are 1/2" now, the general rule of thump with dictate that in a few months they should be ready for your DT.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think they are too small for your reef tank. I recently lost my pair, bought 2 babies that were about the same size and they went into my 120 gal and no issues. I do have other larger fish and and eel, but little guys are going on 2 months now and so cute to watch.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think they are too small for your reef tank. I recently lost my pair, bought 2 babies that were about the same size and they went into my 120 gal and no issues. I do have other larger fish and and eel, but little guys are going on 2 months now and so cute to watch.

Honestly I was concerned about the flow. These guys are pretty small and thin. I’ve had them about 5 weeks and at first just the HOB filter in my QT pushed them around. I have pretty strong flow in my 150
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through the same situation. I have a dominantly sps tank, so a huge amount of flow. They should adjust to flow over time. Mine hid in the top back corner until they were able to handle the current.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your clowns really are only 1/2" and depending on the type of eel you have, it's only a matter of time before the eel eats your clowns.

Honestly I was concerned about the flow. These guys are pretty small and thin. I’ve had them about 5 weeks and at first just the HOB filter pushed them around. I have pretty strong flow in my 150

Since you said you're not in a hurry and they're doing well in QT, there's no need to add them to your DT just yet. While flow probably isn't an issue, it makes more sense to let them get bigger and stronger in a smaller tank where you can observe them.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a zebra moray, so reef safe. 3 feet long and I watch the shrimp clean out his teeth. That being said, opinions will vary, do what you feel is best in your situation.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I was concerned about the flow. These guys are pretty small and thin. I’ve had them about 5 weeks and at first just the HOB filter in my QT pushed them around. I have pretty strong flow in my 150
image.jpg
If you look at the pic with the size of the clowns vs. the heater you’ll see how small they are.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back