How long should my tang stay in my sump?

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as its not showing any real stress signs then a good week or two is best. You have it seperated not just to prevent the aggression and show whos boss but to also let the newer fish settle in your display and find a routine throughout the day.

On another note - theres a very good chance it wont achieve anything to begin with. Your tank is small and those are two of the largest and most aggressive surgeonfish species there is. Being territorial, theyll likely not be able to tolerate eachother in that size tank - period.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tried to add a sailfin to my established reef and my powder blue wasn’t into it. Tried an acclimation box for the sailfin, after a day or two released him and powder blue at it again. This time I tried getting the powder blue out and saw the recommendation to sump the aggressor to show him who’s boss and make him reestablish dominance. He’s been in there almost 48 hours, how long should I leave him in there before putting him back in the tank? All my other tangs are happy with my new addition, just the powder blue causing problems. Any recommendations for adding him back in, turn off lights or time of day to reintroduce him? Thanks!
I've had luck with a moody existing fish aggression by dialing back lighting to about 4 hrs a day for a couple days (Dwarf Angels).... After that things started to settle quite a bit....worth the try IMO.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get a sense of humour

Second You cant help that situation no matter what you do those are 2 large of tangs to put in 100 gallon tank there will always be problems with aggression. Besides the fact there are 2 large tangs in this system he mentioned there are other tangs as well who knows how many?

So yes Tell me how you can help keep a sailfin and powder blue be best friends in 100 gallon system . I am very curious if your magic mirror can fix this problem LOL good luck
Do you know the size of the tangs?

Neither do we, and it matters.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as its not showing any real stress signs then a good week or two is best. You have it seperated not just to prevent the aggression and show whos boss but to also let the newer fish settle in your display and find a routine throughout the day.

On another note - theres a very good chance it wont achieve anything to begin with. Your tank is small and those are two of the largest and most aggressive surgeonfish species there is. Being territorial, theyll likely not be able to tolerate eachother in that size tank - period.
I think there is a point to this. One problem is that I'm not sure that there is any guideline as to how long a separation should occur. I would say the most important piece of missing data is 'the size of the tangs'

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question , &HELP THREAD , please try to leave the BS OUT.
Too much of this lately.

OUT.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a point to this. One problem is that I'm not sure that there is any guideline as to how long a separation should occur. I would say the most important piece of missing data is 'the size of the tangs'
Without a doubt the size is important - but my post is more aiming at allowing the new introduction to get comfortable in the DT with its surroundings and routine of feeding and lights out etc rather than the aggressor being kept away to learn and generally I’d call that at least a week if not two.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to sound like the tang police or get on anyones bad side (I’ve done that mistake before) but I don’t think these tangs will do perfection this size tank, I know I’m sounding like the bad person by saying this however in the nicest way possible:
I think you’d be better off swapping both tangs for a Ctenochaetus species. 4’x2’x2’ tanks just isn’t enough for a sailfin or PBT long term, these fish need 10’+ tanks (14’ for a sailfin is my recommendation, 10’ for a PBT). They’re not sliw growers and get HUGE, yes it’s possible but it’s never going to make these fish happy. I have the same size tank and it looks big but really it’s not. But that’s just me 2 cents.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Here is how it should be relayed to the OP.

@ekandler

In regards to the agression you are having between the 2 tangs. If any of them are 3-4". there will be issues in a tank the size you have. While I understand that the fish may seem small, both types of tangs you have listed are considered "roaming" tangs. They spend all day roaming around large areas on a reef grazing for food. That instinct is hardwired into them.

With that said, some people have kept these specific tangs in smaller tanks like yours with no issues for a time. More than likely they feed constantly, have nori in 2 spots available all day and are very experienced with these fish. It is also worth mentioning, that this is sometime done to fatten a tang up before it goes into a 500, for example. I have actually done this, as upon receiving a PBT it was malnourished and I knew that when it was put in gen pop it needed some strength. Do I recommend this, not generally. As mentioned before, doing a tang like that in a tank like that is going to require a lot of food to keep the peace. It will also require heavy export for the amount of food.

My suggestion is to try and rehome one or the other for the time being and then to have a plan to rehome the one you keep at a later date. This later date is when the fish gets too big, does nothing but paces the front glass. In a 4' tank this would be around the 4" or so mark for fish length.

Sorry for the news above, but this is just not a good situation for the fish.

There are other species of tang that will do fine in a 4' tank, but the ones you have cannot do it long term.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Here is how it should be relayed to the OP.

@ekandler

In regards to the agression you are having between the 2 tangs. If any of them are 3-4". there will be issues in a tank the size you have. While I understand that the fish may seem small, both types of tangs you have listed are considered "roaming" tangs. They spend all day roaming around large areas on a reef grazing for food. That instinct is hardwired into them.

With that said, some people have kept these specific tangs in smaller tanks like yours with no issues for a time. More than likely they feed constantly, have nori in 2 spots available all day and are very experienced with these fish. It is also worth mentioning, that this is sometime done to fatten a tang up before it goes into a 500, for example. I have actually done this, as upon receiving a PBT it was malnourished and I knew that when it was put in gen pop it needed some strength. Do I recommend this, not generally. As mentioned before, doing a tang like that in a tank like that is going to require a lot of food to keep the peace. It will also require heavy export for the amount of food.

My suggestion is to try and rehome one or the other for the time being and then to have a plan to rehome the one you keep at a later date. This later date is when the fish gets too big, does nothing but paces the front glass. In a 4' tank this would be around the 4" or so mark for fish length.

Sorry for the news above, but this is just not a good situation for the fish.

There are other species of tang that will do fine in a 4' tank, but the ones you have cannot do it long term.
This is what we all meant (I tried to say this but couldn’t think of how to put it so it came out a bit more on the cruel side).
The species of tang that do best in this tank are:
- C. binotatus
- C. flavicauda
- C. strigosus
And basically all other small bristletooth, just avoid Chevrons and Striatus tangs.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what we all meant (I tried to say this but couldn’t think of how to put it so it came out a bit more on the cruel side).
The species of tang that do best in this tank are:
- C. binotatus
- C. flavicauda
- C. strigosus
And basically all other small bristletooth, just avoid Chevrons and Striatus tangs.
You did OK. It is hard to relay things like this, but when people just go to bashing, people stop listening and ignore it. Much better to provide constructive criticism than just go all wonky on someone. Points are absorbed a little easier that way.

Plus, for all we know an LFS could have told them it was OK and they took their word for it. Sadly, it happens way too much.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for everyone interested. My blue tang was being an butt, tried to fight the net when I was trying to get him out so I ended up getting him out fairly easily. Moved him to the sump for a week, feeding him as I fed the other fish. He was fine down there, stressed but fine. After 5 days I returned him to my display with a mirror on the full right side of my tank. He immediately went over to check out his reflection along with some other fish. After 2 days of the mirror, I pulled it off and as of today there are no aggression issues. None of my tangs are fighting at all.

for the other recommendations about rehoming larger fish and keeping plenty of food present, I will do both. I regularly rehome my larger tangs and fish in gener, hence why I was getting this one to replace another I got rid of. I feed nori daily, pellets daily and frozen every other day, so my fish are well fed and don’t seem to have issues with food.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update for everyone interested. My blue tang was being an butt, tried to fight the net when I was trying to get him out so I ended up getting him out fairly easily. Moved him to the sump for a week, feeding him as I fed the other fish. He was fine down there, stressed but fine. After 5 days I returned him to my display with a mirror on the full right side of my tank. He immediately went over to check out his reflection along with some other fish. After 2 days of the mirror, I pulled it off and as of today there are no aggression issues. None of my tangs are fighting at all.

for the other recommendations about rehoming larger fish and keeping plenty of food present, I will do both. I regularly rehome my larger tangs and fish in gener, hence why I was getting this one to replace another I got rid of. I feed nori daily, pellets daily and frozen every other day, so my fish are well fed and don’t seem to have issues with food.
Awesome - its always good to hear an update!!!

Dfrashid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to sound like the tang police or get on anyones bad side (I’ve done that mistake before) but I don’t think these tangs will do perfection this size tank, I know I’m sounding like the bad person by saying this however in the nicest way possible:
I think you’d be better off swapping both tangs for a Ctenochaetus species. 4’x2’x2’ tanks just isn’t enough for a sailfin or PBT long term, these fish need 10’+ tanks (14’ for a sailfin is my recommendation, 10’ for a PBT). They’re not sliw growers and get HUGE, yes it’s possible but it’s never going to make these fish happy. I have the same size tank and it looks big but really it’s not. But that’s just me 2 cents.
really? minimum volume for a powder blue of ~300 gallons? like 400 for a sailfin?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really? minimum volume for a powder blue of ~300 gallons? like 400 for a sailfin?
Honestly, I would go for 6-7’ minimum for a PBT however the sailfin is a definite 14’ minimum IMHO. The Sailfin is a nasty fish in too small of a tank but also the sailfin without extended fins gets to the size of a large dinner plate, with fins extended it essentially doubles in size.
The Powder Blue is a
nasty tang but they don’t get quite so large so I wouldn’t say 10’ now but I still don’t agree with a 4’ being big enough. I think 6-8’ would work for this tang (6’ being the bare minimum for any acanthurus tang).

Back