How long should they be staying mad?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my first corals on Wednesday morning! Yay! The problem is that my plug of mixed zoas is mad. The polyps were pretty sullen in the store, but they had a recent pic of them all open and pretty, so I bought it anyway. Figured it was all the hermits and peppermint shrimp crawling around in there that was bothering them. I did a Bayer dip, and they've been in my invert QT. I didn't see any nudis or eggs on it or the plug- the only thing that doesn't belong is a bit of bubble algae that I'm going to scrape off.

Tank parameters are:
SG 1.025
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH 8.4
Phos 0.93
DkH 9.9

I know the phosphates are a little high, but I know for a fact that my LFS doesn't use the ULN method, so I'm not panicked about it. Any other red flags? Any thoughts on why my zoas are all retracted and unhappy? The tubes look a bit longer than they did on Wednesday and Thursday- think they're reaching for more light? I've got a magnetic frag rack I could put them on to get them closer to the light. There's a (kind of weak) powerhead in there- scoot them into more direct flow, or let them sit in indirect flow? TIA for your input!
20190216_083151.jpeg
20190216_083216.jpeg

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put them in higher flow and medium light at most to get them to open up..hopefully they open..
give it a day or two..

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my mine in a lugol's iodide dip to perk unhappy closed up zoanthids. Had some closed for 2 weeks, tried it and they opened the next day

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my mine in a lugol's iodide dip to perk unhappy closed up zoanthids. Had some closed for 2 weeks, tried it and they opened the next day
I'll see if I can get my hands on some iodide dip, then. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back