How long to allow clowns to fight for dominance?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been in the process of restocking my nano (13.5 gallon) with fish, and I found this absolutely stunning long fin black ice clown that I bought on the spot, alone. After some conversations via another thread, many people suggested she (it's too young/small to be a she yet, but it was certainly kicking the butt of the other clown in the tank with it) would be better, happier, more content with a second clownfish friend. At this point she? had been in the tank for a week or so.

I searched for a bit and then found this really gorgeous black storm that is nice and healthy, but it's also slightly larger than the long fin. I introduced it to the tank, and they were fine for the first week. I assume this was a period of just getting used to the tank, because then the short finned began to attack the long finned. I know there has to be a period for them to sort it out, but I had thought it was already settled. I didn't want the long finned clown to get torn up, so I isolated the short fin in the tank for a week to bulk up the long fin's claim, then released it again. It went after the long fin immediately, but the long fin held its ground and tore into the short fin. For the first 24 hrs at least.

Now the long fin is cornered in the tank but the short fin is acting very strangely. I've watched a dominance battle between clowns before and the little shimmy shimmy dance is usually the submissive giving in, right? The short finned keeps shaking at the long fin, but the long fin is the one stuck in the corner. It'll drive out the short fin if it gets close.

There's no serious damage on either one, though it's clear they've each taken a bite or two out of the other, some nipped anal fins primarily. My question here is, how long should I let this go on for, and should I be concerned that the long fin is getting stressed out by the other one continually harassing it looking for attention, or to fight, or whatever it's doing. The long fin is the jewel of the tank, and if I have to I'll find another pair for it, or is this some indication that it would be better off alone? Any advice would be welcome. I just fed the tank and they both went to eat with enthusiasm, though when the long fin came out, it was quickly intercepted more than once. I've been watching the short finned chase the long fin all over the tank and I got some footage of what it looks like.

After they fought for a bit, I netted out and separated the short finned again, and now I can see more damage to the long fin. ripped pectorals, ripped anal fin. All superficial, but it's taking a beating. It's so relieved to be unmolested... I'm about to the point of looking for another partner or none at all. I'd love any insight from people who have kept more clowns than me!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try keeping the aggressor in an acclimation box. Aggression may be increased from the cramped space.

My clowns are in a 90g and are complete jerks. They bite me every time I put my hand in the tank.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already had the aggressor in an acclimation box for a week before I tried reintroducing it. This is my third overall pair of clowns and my experience has been:

1st pair are happy together but hates hands and will bite at anything that enters the tank. No problems with the Royal Gramma.
2nd pair: Friendly all around, to each other, to me, would eat from my fingers and zero aggression. I was so sad that these nice, nice fish died :(

So this is only my third experience with clownfish in general, and as the 1st pair was pretty quick with their dominance battle, even when they switched which one was dominant, this prolonged and heightened aggression is worrisome for the health of the fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back