How long to keep anemone without light?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on vacation in Florida and I wanted to see if there’s anyone that has experience in keeping anemones without a light or flow for about 3-4 days. I was thinking about getting a bucket and putting it in the bucket and having an air stone in there or something but I’m not really sure if it’s possible. I live in Michigan but I would drive back so bringing on the plane isn’t an issue. Anyone have any ideas if this is even possible or will I just be waisting time and money?

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your asking if you drive back with the anemone from Florida to Michigan will the anemone be ok without light

Yes if the trip takes you 2 -3 days you will be fine without light

I would pack the anemone in the biggest bag you can fine Then put that in a cooler to keep temp steady

These things are flow from over sea and sit for 48 hours all the time in little bags

Just make sure you float bag in tank when you get home and drip accumulate the anemone

Also it shouldn’t take you 3 days to drive from Florida to Michigan:).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. Biggest bag you can find, stable temp, and rock and roll.

I brought Colorado Sunburst and 4 Ritteris from CA to TN one time and drove the whole way. Still have all 5 nems 2 years later lol. Think about storms that last a few days. They have no light during that time as well.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light won’t be as big of an issue as maintaining a constant and ideal water temperature and parameters.
I’m not saying that it can’t be done, it’s just that Anemones aren’t the easiest of inverts to keep alive in optimal conditions yet alone in a bucket.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone might survive, but I am almost positive it is illegal to take it.
I know in Florida it is illegal to take rock or coral. I would investigate the law before taking an anemone from the wild.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve brought back nems with them buying one at a frag swap, staying the night in a hotel and driving back to where I live. It was somewhere less than 48 hours in a big bag, in a cooler.

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone might survive, but I am almost positive it is illegal to take it.
I know in Florida it is illegal to take rock or coral. I would investigate the law before taking an anemone from the wild.
I think it is illegal but I have a bunch of friends that live here. I used to live in Florida and I wanna go to wwc.
I’ve brought back nems with them buying one at a frag swap, staying the night in a hotel and driving back to where I live. It was somewhere less than 48 hours in a big bag, in a cooler.
I got an air stone just in case.
You will be fine. Biggest bag you can find, stable temp, and rock and roll.

I brought Colorado Sunburst and 4 Ritteris from CA to TN one time and drove the whole way. Still have all 5 nems 2 years later lol. Think about storms that last a few days. They have no light during that time as well.
Well I’m not leaving till Saturday. But we are leaving the location I’m at and going to my aunts. If I leabe the nem outside near her pool (covered in shade) would that be fine? Or would it over heat? Biggest bag? I shouldn’t keep it in a bucket or cooler with water in it and air flow?
If your asking if you drive back with the anemone from Florida to Michigan will the anemone be ok without light

Yes if the trip takes you 2 -3 days you will be fine without light

I would pack the anemone in the biggest bag you can fine Then put that in a cooler to keep temp steady

These things are flow from over sea and sit for 48 hours all the time in little bags

Just make sure you float bag in tank when you get home and drip accumulate the anemone

Also it shouldn’t take you 3 days to drive from Florida to Michigan:).
It won’t take 3 days but I’m going to a different part of Florida so want to get them while can. And the drive will be 18 hours straight. But I won’t be home till Sunday. So today till Sunday will that be okay?

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not leave the anemone outside . your better off in a house at 72 then outside in the shade at 80.

the reason we said put it in cooler in house is it keeps the temp more stable. a gallon of water will change temp quickly. you dont want the bag going from 80 - 70-80 -65 -82 .

its not illegal to buy an anemone and transport them, think the person thought you where collecting it in the wild.

but honestly i would i would probably just pick it up last, dont drive around with for a day or 2 first. there is a risk.

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I have the nems in a cooler and I have them in tub a wares also with slits so the water can flow in and out if needed. I have an air stone in there also. I didn’t want the different nems touching (rock flower and lta). I have 2 lta touching in the same box hopefully that’s okay. But how do I know if they are dead? Just wanna make sure they are all alive before I put them in my tank. I still have all of tomorrow to drive home.

If the nems are dead will they smell? Will they fsll apart? Anything obvious to know if they are dead?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back