How long to QT "healthy" fish?

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, just curious what you all do in this situation: I've had two Pyramid Butterflies in my 45G QT system for 8 days. They came from an LFS that runs copper and hypo in their fish only system.

I acclimated them out of hypo for about 4 hours (it was seriously low, so I went from like 1.011 to 1.024 over that time), and put them in the QT system. They never seemed stressed at all, and have been eating like pigs from day one. For the last 8 days, no signs of ich, no flashing, and good appetites. Totally normal behavior (and they seem to follow me around the room for feedings).

I haven't treated the tank at all, nor did I do any fresh water dips. My question is where would you all go from here? You think they are ready for prime time or do I need to sequester them for longer, or treat prophylactically with Prazi and/or Copper? I prefer not to medicate if unnecessary. I know there are a lot of different philosophies on this, just curious what the majority of folks do. Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat prophylactically. That's me.

If you want observe only, that is ok too. I would keep them in QT for at least 30 days. Another thing you can do is "test" them by introducing a FW Mollie. Get a black Molly and convert it from FW to SW by slowly acclimating it. Since they are a FW fish they will have no resistance to SW parasites and if something is present it would very likely show up on the Mollie within the first 2 weeks.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a minimum 30 day observation for the following:

-The LFS, no matter how good they are or care about the fish, is going to primarily be interested in keeping their inventory alive so they can sell it. They are a store, and they have to sell things to keep the doors open.
-there's no way to know how long the fish was in hypo.
-there's no way to know how long the fish was in copper, or if the levels were consistent.
-If all of the above are true, it's possible that there are suppressed infections or parasites, and you just won't know that unless you give it time to manifest itself.

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been where you were at. I took out of QT early because everything was looking fine. Then they went into the DT and boom, they all broke out and the entire tank crashed. Maybe it was already in my DT or maybe they were not showing signs until they got introduced. Either way it has me now on a much stricter QT schedule than back then.

I know there is always an urge to get them in your DT to enjoy, but as everyone says in this hobby...patience.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I think I just needed to hear that.

Now would you all recommend 14 days of copper followed by Prazi/GC, or feeding medicated (metro/focus) food? Or just observe for another 3 weeks?

I have never purchased fish from this LFS, but a friend does quite often and is confident in their practices. However I don't want to rely on that, as noted above...

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much agree with everything in the above posts. Best to keep observing since most illnesses & diseases take longer to develop & become more aggressive after the 2nd & 3rd cycle of reproducing. Best to be patient & not run the gamble with your DT. Believe me, an extra 3 weeks is worth more than battling parasite in your main display. Save yourself from heartache & flushing money down the toilet. Good luck.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now would you all recommend 14 days of copper followed by Prazi/GC, or feeding medicated (metro/focus) food? Or just observe for another 3 weeks?

I have never purchased fish from this LFS, but a friend does quite often and is confident in their practices. However I don't want to rely on that, as noted above...

I would treat as you mentioned above just to be safe. The distribution system is so rife with disease and parasites it’s almost not worth risking it. That’s my .02 cents though.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically observe for 90 days and only treat when I observe behavior (swimming into flow) and symptoms that indicate disease.

If I have to treat, I start the clock over upon completion of treatment.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper for 30 days, starting at 1 ppm on day 1, even if no signs of disease.
Too many fish would die early for unclear reasons before I started dosing copper right away.
Add GC/metro in water and food after 14 days. I continue the copper through GC treatment.
Many people don't combine these two treatments, but I do and it works fine.
Just be sure to keep the water very well aerated.

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read hot rocks qt procedures, it's extensive but pretty interesting. Im going to try that route.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back