How long to win the battle when using UV for dinos ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad those dinos are on the way out, its always a relieving feeling to have all those boogers gone!
Yeah, especially when it’s your first time dealing with them and you’ve read all the horror stories.

It’s not over yet so I’m watching my step, lol !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Perici
I’ve done three days of H2O2 dosing and 15% blues only, along with once or twice a day manually lifting the dinos in the water column. The corals aren’t suffering and this morning I can’t even see anything on the sand.

I’ll keep up with the regimen for 2 more days and then I will slowly, very slowly transition back to a more normal light setting.

@vetteguy53081 when I’m done, do I need to do anything to rid the tank of the H2O2 ? Anything else I should do or be careful with ?

I’m running Seachem Matrix at the moment. I’m hesitant to do a water change, as it is said to feed the dinos.

Thanks !

eta : my banggai cardinal seems to be suffering. He is acting scared, staying in corners like when I first got him. He is also not eating this morning. I hope he makes it.
Peroxide de will dissipate on its own

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It
I’ve done three days of H2O2 dosing and 15% blues only, along with once or twice a day manually lifting the dinos in the water column. The corals aren’t suffering and this morning I can’t even see anything on the sand.

I’ll keep up with the regimen for 2 more days and then I will slowly, very slowly transition back to a more normal light setting.

@vetteguy53081 when I’m done, do I need to do anything to rid the tank of the H2O2 ? Anything else I should do or be careful with ?

I’m running Seachem Matrix at the moment. I’m hesitant to do a water change, as it is said to feed the dinos.

Thanks !

eta : my banggai cardinal seems to be suffering. He is acting scared, staying in corners like when I first got him. He is also not eating this morning. I hope he makes it.
Its the lights being down low. He’ll be fine

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to try one more thing before buying the microscope. I wish I could push more GPH into the UV but I don’t have a more powerful pump. So this will have to wait too.

Last night I dosed 10 ml of 3% H2O2 per 10 gallons. Today I’m running the light with only blues and UV, at 15%. No white lights. I’ll be doing that for 5 days. This was suggested by @vetteguy53081 I believe, to another user having the same problem.

This morning I woke up and the sand was perfectly clear. That was the first time in many weeks. So I thought I was making progress.

One hour later, the dinos appeared again.

This is definitely a pain.
If you are talking about my fight recently I did the black out and peroxide, but I only used 1ml of it. I have a little EVO 13.5 and figured with my sand and rock, etc.. I would just treat like a 10 gal volume. 10ml seems high to me, but you might ask VG ( he was very helpful), or re-read the thread. It did work though now I am just back to fighting with the diatoms.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about my fight recently I did the black out and peroxide, but I only used 1ml of it. I have a little EVO 13.5 and figured with my sand and rock, etc.. I would just treat like a 10 gal volume. 10ml seems high to me, but you might ask VG ( he was very helpful), or re-read the thread. It did work though now I am just back to fighting with the diatoms.
It might have been you, I don’t remember.

10 ml is a mistake and I couldn’t edit my post. It was 1,0 ml. :)

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the same thing? these look like Dino's to you guys?

Just started up after I fed Reef Roids for first time... 3 month old tank...my parameters showing NO3 at 5ppm and 0 Phos...but I'm assuming that is whatever this algae is consuming the Phos?

Its stringy on a bunch of my coral frags. I manually removed a bunch but it seems like it was back in an hour.

Let me know what you think, but otherwise I am going to try @vetteguy53081 removal plan. thx in advance Vette.

dinos.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I have the same thing? these look like Dino's to you guys?

Just started up after I fed Reef Roids for first time... 3 month old tank...my parameters showing NO3 at 5ppm and 0 Phos...but I'm assuming that is whatever this algae is consuming the Phos?

Its stringy on a bunch of my coral frags. I manually removed a bunch but it seems like it was back in an hour.

Let me know what you think, but otherwise I am going to try @vetteguy53081 removal plan. thx in advance Vette.

dinos.jpg
Looks to be

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast or target feeding the reef roids?

Target. Started in appearing in some low flow areas of gravel...and then next directly on some of the coral frags.

I just vacuumed gravel up thru a filter sock and replaced (same) water. lights on blue only today seems to have slowed growth anyways. will dose a little H202 this eve for next few nights.

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target. Started in appearing in some low flow areas of gravel...and then next directly on some of the coral frags.

I just vacuumed gravel up thru a filter sock and replaced (same) water. lights on blue only today seems to have slowed growth anyways. will dose a little H202 this eve for next few nights.
I was going to suggest target feeding due to the spike in nutrients from the roids. I have been target feeding it from the start and it works, but definite nutrient spike, especially phosphate. A lot of people broadcast it but I know my little system could not handle that.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : there were no signes of dinos yesterday at all. Last night was the fifth and last dose of H2O2.

This morning I upped the lights from 15% blue, UV and violet to 20% blue, UV and violet and 2-3 % red, green and white.

2 hours later there is a spot of dinos near a rock. I have stirred the whole sand bed to send the dinos in the water column and have the UV take care of it.

If the dinos persist, then I’ll see if I keep dosing H2O2 or just dim the lights. Some of the corals aren’t too happy about it so I’d like to avoid it.

Those dinos are a major pain for sure !

eta : I’ve put the settings back to what they were yesterday. They keep coming back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m beginning to wonder if what I see on the sand is diatoms, not dinos. It would make sense that with dinos disappearing, and the tank not being mature, something else has to take over.

I’ll have to check closer tomorrow. I just panicked and assumed they were dinos and turned down the white lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back