How long until you get concerned…

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a neon green toadstool mushroom to my tank yesterday. It has yet to show any signs of opening or polyp extension.

how long do you wait until your concerned it’s dead and what signs should I be looking for?

i obviously want to give this coral every chance to survive and thrive but also don’t want to let it start to decompose and release toxins, phosphates, nitrates…etc

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a neon green toadstool mushroom to my tank yesterday. It has yet to show any signs of opening or polyp extension.

how long do you wait until your concerned it’s dead and what signs should I be looking for?

i obviously want to give this coral every chance to survive and thrive but also don’t want to let it start to decompose and release toxins, phosphates, nitrates…etc
If you see color under blues it can usually be saved

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corals release phosphate and nitrates? Huh? Not really sure this is accurate. I guess if the coral poops the residual ammonia may eventually convert to nitrates. I have had corals die and reduce to nothing but a skeletal base and that does nothing to my nitrates and phosphate.

Leather corals can sometimes just get mad while adjusting to their new environment. It may take weeks to open up .

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few days. My toadstool and finger leather have closed for literally weeks at a time. They get in a hissy fit without a lot of work sometimes.
I would get so worried , but I learned that they will come back better than ever

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals release phosphate and nitrates? Huh? Not really sure this is accurate. I guess if the coral poops the residual ammonia may eventually convert to nitrates. I have had corals die and reduce to nothing but a skeletal base and that does nothing to my nitrates and phosphate.

Leather corals can sometimes just get mad while adjusting to their new environment. It may take weeks to open up .
Anything dead will release ammonia, thus leading to higher nitrates. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all interwoven in the cycle of life they always move with eachother by the breakdown of byproducts in organic waste.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have to say, it's not a mushroom

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything dead will release ammonia, thus leading to higher nitrates. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all interwoven in the cycle of life they always move with eachother by the breakdown of byproducts in organic waste.
While I agree with the concept, one small coral dying off in a reef tank will have no measurable increase in nitrates or phosphates and ammonia will still be undetectable. I've had corals die, fish go missing, etc... no noticeable changes in tank parameters.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with the concept, one small coral dying off in a reef tank will have no measurable increase in nitrates or phosphates and ammonia will still be undetectable. I've had corals die, fish go missing, etc... no noticeable changes in tank parameters.
What gallon tank do you have

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a toadstool, sorry I misspoke.

thanks for the insight. Trying to see what warning signs I should be looking for vs just settling in and being moody for several days
Losing color is always #1 for me sign of "dying". But then again I've had corals look completely dead and come back. So it's hard to tell really. Just keep an eye, they usually look like a pile of jelly when they're truly gone.

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green toadstool took several days to extend polyps after getting it. And it still throws occasional tantrums and completely flops over and hangs down the rock face, looking completely lifeless. It always pops back up eventually though and sometimes sheds a thin top layer of material.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is it a sarcophyton or a discosoma, rhodactis? If a “leather” then give it time. What’s the system conditions? That contributes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back