How long will it take to pair up clownfish

Tom Boyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large female ocellaris clownfish by herself for about a month and added a much smaller ocellaris clownfish about 5 months ago. Back when the larger female had a "bonded" male (before he passed away), they would be next to each other all the time. While the female did not kill the new smaller male clownfish, I was curious why it is different with the new fish.
The Male does do the twitching move every once in a while next to the female, but it's only a couple times a day and then he proceeds to spend most time away from the female. And the times that he is next to the female in the flowerpot, he just puts his face in the wall and rubs it.
I know it is good news that the larger female has not killed the smaller male clown, but i was just curious if/when they are mated and how long it would take for them to start breeding.
Side note: the smaller male is only about an inch and a half while the female is about 3 inches.
Thank you so much!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the length of time just depends. If the male is that much smaller, is it possible he's still a juvenile?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar boat. The male tends to do his own thing but I think they are slowly pairing up as I see them together more frequently. Is the female supposed to test the male with aggressive attacks to see if he submits on occasion with paired clowns...?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back