How long will the diatoms last.

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is 1 year old and I have had these diatoms for about 5 maybe 6 months how long will they last? Are they even goin away?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I'd say you really need to look into your nutrient export. A small yellow tang in a 30g is a lot of bioload for what looks like a small hang on back filter. What are your nitrate levels and how often to you change the water and siphon the sand?

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I'd say you really need to look into your nutrient export. A small yellow tang in a 30g is a lot of bioload for what looks like a small hang on back filter. What are your nitrate levels and how often to you change the water and siphon the sand?
My nitrate levels are in the medium side I don’t have a proper test kit and my hang on back filter is not the best. What should i do?

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate levels are in the medium side I don’t have a proper test kit and my hang on back filter is not the best. What should i do?
Should
I am thinking about getting coraline algae in a can from BRS and adding it to my tank maybe that will help?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could clean that whole tank into submission quite easily.
we do that, here, see the examples take a 20 mins read

no chems

nothing to buy

300 before, during after pics with job details. covers how to do the cleaning without recycling.

Your tank would be among the easiest we've done; not the hardest. it already looks good. any other method leaves the waste in the sandbed that would currently well up if disturbed; a mix of invader and invader feed.

Last edited:

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline in a bottle is not worth it, and you've got some other things to take care of first. Look into a protein skimmer and a salifert nitrate test kit (inexpensive). Give this guide a read before moving on anything:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back