How Low Can You Go?! T5 Edition

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been designing a shallow reef tank setup and came across a conundrum...

The tank will be 12" high with the water level at just ~ 11". I was planning on using a the ATI dimmable sunpower 8x24watt fixture to light up the tank.

The problem is I don't want major light spilling into the room where the tank will be situated. My solution was to put the light in a floating canopy and hand the floating canopy relatively close to the water. I was thinking that the fixture would be ~4-6 inches off the water line.

My logic was that as long as I can manage temperature exchange from the fixture to the tank and prevent major salt build up on the canopy, I should be good. I would use the dimming feature of the fixture to prevent coral bleaching.

Thoughts?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind , the full power of an ati with most common tube choices is well above 1300 par or more at 12in.
Approx 160par per tube at that distance.
Ive seen no data on how low the par ratings are fully dimmed.

So the challenge will be acclimation of new corals. Many coral in lfs are under shockingly low light.
Beyond that you’re fine.

@ATI North America

I’d highly reccomend an apogee to test the light dry before you mount it. Or a lux meter and devide lux by 50 for an estimate. IMO pass on a seneye , it has too narrow a field of view with the lights that close.

Love me a big Ati fixture, but depending on the tank dimensions, 4 tubes would likely be more then enough.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to search for par values at various dimmed levels but am finding nothing... I was also considering getting a 6 bulb dimmable fixture, gutting it and evening distributing it across the entire tank. Too bad ATI doesn't sell DIY kits like they used to.

@ATI North America do you guys have documentation of par levels depending on % dimmed? Any way I can get the parts to make my own fixture using ATI parts?

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to search for par values at various dimmed levels but am finding nothing... I was also considering getting a 6 bulb dimmable fixture, gutting it and evening distributing it across the entire tank. Too bad ATI doesn't sell DIY kits like they used to.

@ATI North America do you guys have documentation of par levels depending on % dimmed? Any way I can get the parts to make my own fixture using ATI parts?

Not sure what DIY kits you are referring too, but we do have lots of parts available at store.atinorthamerica.com. You won't find full housings, but just about every other part is available. Many parts are available that aren't listed too by contacting us.

Sorry I do not have PAR data.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America are there any long term issues if i only run 4 or the 6 bulbs in channel 2 of an 8 bulb fixture?

Should i just keep the two bulbs in and not lock them in place or should I take the unused bulbs out completely?

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America are there any long term issues if i only run 4 or the 6 bulbs in channel 2 of an 8 bulb fixture?

Should i just keep the two bulbs in and not lock them in place or should I take the unused bulbs out completely?
Nope! But you'll have to select 2 bulbs on the same ballast to remove.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason for pulling the two bulbs from the same channel?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back