How many Amps to run 60g tank?

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning out my first reef tank, and I’m planning on putting it in a room that already has 2 computers, including printer and shredder. My tank will be a 60g tank plus sump, with all the equipment that would go with that, including skimmer, pumps, and maybe media reactor. The breaker to this room is only 15 amps. Should I be worried about overpowering the breaker, or should I look into increasing the amps to this room or setting up a new circuit? What is the average amps it takes to run a tank like mine? Thanks for the help!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65g tank topped out at 7.5-8 amps with all bulbs on and both heaters running. Running that shredder would pop your circuit every time.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things - a separate circuit is always a good idea - and a 20A will allow room for upgrades. You can't "increase the amps" without replacing the wiring and the breaker, so you'll be just as far ahead adding another circuit anyway.

Secondly - I would be a little concerned about the additional humidity due to evaporation affecting my electronics.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't think you'll have an issue. We ran our 65 in GFs office with a WHOLE LOT more equipment than you listed and had ZERO issues on 15 amp circuit. As suggested above (from fellow Mn native) if shredder trips breaker, move shredder to another room.

OP
OP
Avocaadotoast

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't think you'll have an issue. We ran our 65 in GFs office with a WHOLE LOT more equipment than you listed and had ZERO issues on 15 amp circuit. As suggested above (from fellow Mn native) if shredder trips breaker, move shredder to another room.
That makes me feel better, I can definitely move the shredder so that can be a cheap solution

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80g next to two gaming computers and a TV :cool:

Oddly enough when I was in one of those new fancy luxury apartments... my chiller would sometimes trip it but no issues in the old house I rent. So much for luxury.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back