How many Anthias?

reef boy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I will be getting a custom 84x30x24 tank in the next couple months to replace my 180 and I am starting to figure out a fish wish list. I would really like to add schooling fish so the tank has a reef vibe and I've always loved the anthias. I'm thinking about either the evansi or bartletts but still considering options. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit better of an idea of how many anthias would be okay to put in the tank so they are all still happy? My first priority is the fishes well being so I don't want to put too many in.

Here is a list of the current fish I have and what I definitely plan on adding below that.

Current fish:
Naso tang
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Melanarus wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Female leopard wrasse
Royal gramma
Bangaii cardinal
2 black with white pattern clownfish

Adding:
Desjarnini sailfin tang
Purple tang
Flame angel
Midas blenny
Possibly more

OP
OP
R

reef boy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I will be getting a custom 84x30x24 tank in the next couple months to replace my 180 and I am starting to figure out a fish wish list. I would really like to add schooling fish so the tank has a reef vibe and I've always loved the anthias. I'm thinking about either the evansi or bartletts but still considering options. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit better of an idea of how many anthias would be okay to put in the tank so they are all still happy? My first priority is the fishes well being so I don't want to put too many in.

Here is a list of the current fish I have and what I definitely plan on adding below that.

Current fish:
Naso tang
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Melanarus wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Female leopard wrasse
Royal gramma
Bangaii cardinal

Adding:
Desjarnini sailfin tang
Purple tang
Flame angel
Midas blenny
Possibly more
I Forgot to mention that the tank will be sps dominated with some other coral here and there.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current fish:
Naso tang
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Melanarus wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Female leopard wrasse
Royal gramma
Bangaii cardinal

Adding:
Desjarnini sailfin tang
Purple tang
Flame angel
Midas blenny
Possibly more
I would go with the Lyretail Anthias 1 male and 6 or 7 females

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evansi and Bartlett are very different despite looking similar.

Bartlett are easy to keep, don't really require frequent feedings and are aggressive. A big group will normally pick off the weakest link until you are left with 2.

Evansi stay smaller, are harder to feed, require frequent feedings, and won't pick each other off. Most consider them "expert level".

I only have personal experience with the Bartlett, not evansi.

Lyretail, dispar and ignitus are all better choices in my opinion. I've kept all 3 and they aren't too difficult. Dispar and ignitus are more peaceful amongst their groups but with such a large tank the lyretails should be fine.

Back