How many blue leg hermits to add to 3 gal?

newreeferboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am have a hair algae outbreak in my 3 gal mixed reef. I got some blue legs and was wondering how many I should put in the 3 gal to take care of most of it or keep it at bay.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am have a hair algae outbreak in my 3 gal mixed reef. I got some blue legs and was wondering how many I should put in the 3 gal to take care of most of it or keep it at bay.
Start out with 3 and see how it goes then adjust to your needs be warned though in my experience they seem to like to pick on your snails.

Don’t know the details of your system but you may also want to try figured out the cause of your algea issue and also a manual removal of the hair algae with your maintenance schedule

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC won't make a big difference with GHA. Manual removal is going to be the best option. By the time it's annoying you, it's too much for snails and crabs.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not mandatory, it is recommended to stock these crabs at one crab per gallon for optimal efficiency

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above. If you get the GHA under control then too many crabs may end up starving, but that's for future you to deal with! I put just one in my 3 gallon but it's a different situation.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not mandatory, it is recommended to stock these crabs at one crab per gallon for optimal efficiency
Feel like that's excessive. I've never had more than 10-15 in my 90g. Diversity is usually the best option. As mentioned above, you don't want them starving.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would only do 3 crabs.
I personally prefer scarlett hermit crabs. I've found them to less inclined to go after corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back