How many have built an overflow and sump?

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about how many people have built their own sump and overflow, or have tried. How did it work, and was it worth it in the end?.
I'm building an overflow and sump for my 46gl tank. Initial testing seems to work well, but I haven't put it into use yet. I have some final plumbing tweeks to do. I was wondering what others experiences have been.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overflow, was worth it at the time, but I got a great deal on a manufactured overflow and I'm very happy with it. I no longer worry (to the same degree) about a malfunction.

sump, it's fine. it's a 10g but I'd like something bigger. may make a 15 gallon sump next. I can't justify paying for an acrylic sump compared to the diy price. The biggest difference next time, I will find an easier way to source the baffle material (than disassembling a 10gallon tank).

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have build several sumps from 10gal sump w/ fuge to 25gal sump with 18gal remote fuge. I definitely prefer the fuge to be seperate to prevent algae growth in the sump. It also allows me to plumb the fuge separate to have it directly fed from the display tank. It does make the set up more complicate with three tanks on three different levels...

Sumps are easy to make. I have modified pre-made tanks with glass baffles and also constructed the 25gal sump from scratch. I used .25" glass which is way overkill but I had it laying around and it made the tank super solid. I recommend using .25" glass for sump baffles since its much stronger and wont break if you bump into it with something (which you will). I used glass from an old hexagonal tank for all my baffles. This was because the edge was ground to a 60 deg angle and this helped the water flow over smoothly. I never used multiple baffles to create a bubble trap since the angled and smoothed edge allowed the water keep any stray bubbles right next to the baffle and did not get sucked into a pump.

I have drilled single holes for simple overflows on some smaller tanks. Didn't have any problems but definitely not the safest setup since there was no emergency drain. Never build a overflow box but planning to on my next build. I plan on building it into the back of the tank and implementing a coast-to-coast overflow weir inside the tank.

My knowledge is pretty limited, I have only attained a 50 gal reef so everything I have done is small scale.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own sump and overflow... super easy to.do plus it saved me tons of money.

Here's where the sump and overflow build starts.

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overflow, was worth it at the time, but I got a great deal on a manufactured overflow and I'm very happy with it. I no longer worry (to the same degree) about a malfunction.

sump, it's fine. it's a 10g but I'd like something bigger. may make a 15 gallon sump next. I can't justify paying for an acrylic sump compared to the diy price. The biggest difference next time, I will find an easier way to source the baffle material (than disassembling a 10gallon tank).
I got my glass baffle from a local glass shop, cost me around $25.00

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the overflow and sump done, works fine so far. I'll post some pics later today. Only had 1 snafu, had the return to low in the tank so when I shut off the pump it overflowed the sump. The wife wasn't real happy with the water on the living room wood floor. Oops, ball valve now installed on return line, shoulda thought of that a little earlier. lol

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to raise the return so it doesnt overflow the sump. Lock line or something. If power goes out and you aren't gome to turn the ball valve = unhappy wife

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how you keep your wood floor dry

Do not rely on a check valve or valve of any kind that can fail. Simply drill a small hole on return line just below water level in display to act as a siphon break

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics before the install

overflow and sump build.jpg overflow and sump build2.jpg

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out the vid on my facebook. stupid phone wouldnt connect to r2r

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question, overflows been working great since Sunday. It has a gurgling sound and there seems to be a lot of air coming out of the overflow pipe into the filter sock. I put a cap with 2 5/16" holes, drilled in the top,on the vent pipe and it quieted down somewhat. Is the amount of air normal or could the pipe into the weir too short. It sticks down into the weir 10", the weir is 20" tall.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what sort of overflow set up you have so I cant help.
I have built internal overflows, external overflow (coast to coast) all with bean animal drains. I also built my 130 gallon sump and my 600 gallon tank. They were worth it. Saved a ton-o-cashola

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what sort of overflow set up you have so I cant help.
I have built internal overflows, external overflow (coast to coast) all with bean animal drains. I also built my 130 gallon sump and my 600 gallon tank. They were worth it. Saved a ton-o-cashola

Attachments

• sump overflow.mp4
    2.2 MB
OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a vid of the overflow, 1" pvc into a 2" weir, overflow pipe goes into the weir 10", weir is 20" long. It just seems like alot of air. Havingno experience in this setup i'm not sure if its normal or not

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact same build... All you are missing is a ball valve so you can control how much water is coming down the pvc piping...

OP
OP
mkwarner77

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact same build... All you are missing is a ball valve so you can control how much water is coming down the pvc piping...
ball, valve on the overflow, never woulda thought of that. I've got 1 on the return.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back