How many NLS pellets per day?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose you were feeding only NLS 1 - 1.5mm pellets on a given day.

Suppose ~2.5" pygmy Angels (mine are 2x bicolors, species specific tank).

How many pellets per fish?

The "feed only enough that they can eat in 1 - 2 minute"- too vague really, and I've seen (eg. Mr. Saltwateraquarium) videos saying those instructions aren't terribly useful either.

What's your pellet count? If you were doing multiple feedings of NLS on your NLS day, ok fine, but then how exactly would you do that (eg. for each fish: 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch, 2 for afternoon snack, 3 for dinner, 1 before bed)?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general guide for feeding is at least twice a day as much as the fish will eat per sitting. Juveniles or breeding fish need a lot more than typical adults. I can typically tell when my fish are looking for food as they all hang out in the upper middle of the water column.

Its impossible to generalize every fish as to how much a given individual (or let alone species) should eat and how much of what type of food to eat. Therefore I go off of the fish's behavior in the tank. They may be able to over eat, they may not.

I believe a better approach to the question is to look at the wild diet of the animal and try to mimic the specific foods they typically eat and go from there.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back