How many of you guys are keeping cleaner shrimp?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them, Going to pick up another so he has a friend.
My only issue is he goes from active to not moving for a day every now and again, tends to be when he’s about to molt, I always think there is something wrong with him, then he’s off again.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love them, Going to pick up another so he has a friend.
My only issue is he goes from active to not moving for a day every now and again, tends to be when he’s about to molt, I always think there is something wrong with him, then he’s off again.

Mine does that too...always makes me worry that it's dying...

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 they were very entertaining to watch and quite active! They would clean fish from time to time but the firefish and clowns would hide in fear from them. They constantly stole food and picked my candy cane coral to death. Took them back to the LFS and traded for some bottles of chemipure blue no regrets.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have in tanks of the past and plan to in my next one. There are some cool cleaner shrimp out there now that I don't remember the last time I was in the hobby so I might mix it up a little though.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 in my SPS tank which has all larger fish and it doesn't pester any of them. I have had them in other tanks with LPS and they are great food thieves. For me they add another dimension to the tank but I would be hesitant to have one in a tank that I was feeding corals in.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Move out to LA :D

:p

few stores here sell em for $30.

I do a lot of driving to different stores.

I know who has cheap softies, cheap SPS, cheap inverts, cheap fish, lol. All different stores, but worth it :D
Hmmm...I need to get this list from you...

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never purchased cleaners before but ended up with 6 of them about 2 years ago, they were hiding in the rockwork of the first big tank I purchased used. I was able to keep them alive for almost the same amount if time, but they were eventually all killed by my monster anemone.
I would love to get some more though! I may try skunks this time, last ones were peppermints.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I need to get this list from you...

Yo’s Aquarium in Hollywood has AMAZING prices on common shrimp and other inverts.

I think he also has a private azn connection and gets some amazing frags and colonies for really cheap (AZN pride) I get most of my start up fish

Be sure to QT these fish though 100%
—-

Mark’s in NoHo has the best price on carpet nem’s always priced around 60-80

——

Aquarium city in Canoga park which also is very close to my home thankfully has awesome fish prices.

I treat all their fish as diseased when I get them,whether or not they are as they have a big wall system with all the same water, and I’m you’ll always find 1 fish with something going on.....

A lot of local reefers also frag out to this store and if you frequent it enough (like I do) you. Can get some really neat and awesome sps or other softie frags for $20 only!

——-

there’s a super small shop alllll the way out in riverside, I forget the name but he sells some nice softy colonies, lobos and trachy for $80-100

otherwise

for the prettiest ones I always wait for Vivid Aquariums or Golden State Corals to have a sale!

LAX aquarium has the biggest selection, and every now and then you can get a nice deal on some bigger frags. But mostly they’re higher end of fair market pricing.

——

another store way out in Pasadena has often more unique and rare items like mantis shrimp and other inverts, he also is one of the only to carry Expensive scollies in store.

stores not very well maintained, not sure if the pandemic had anything to do with it? But back in 2011 it was in my top 5. Now not so much beyond the fact he still has the more unique species IMO.

lastly deep blue has great 5 frag for $100 zoa tank.

best zoa collection I’ve ever seen

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yo’s Aquarium in Hollywood has AMAZING prices on common shrimp and other inverts.

I think he also has a private azn connection and gets some amazing frags and colonies for really cheap (AZN pride) I get most of my start up fish

Be sure to QT these fish though 100%
—-

Mark’s in NoHo has the best price on carpet nem’s always priced around 60-80

——

Aquarium city in Canoga park which also is very close to my home thankfully has awesome fish prices.

I treat all their fish as diseased when I get them,whether or not they are as they have a big wall system with all the same water, and I’m you’ll always find 1 fish with something going on.....

A lot of local reefers also frag out to this store and if you frequent it enough (like I do) you. Can get some really neat and awesome sps or other softie frags for $20 only!

——-

there’s a super small shop alllll the way out in riverside, I forget the name but he sells some nice softy colonies, lobos and trachy for $80-100

otherwise

for the prettiest ones I always wait for Vivid Aquariums or Golden State Corals to have a sale!

LAX aquarium has the biggest selection, and every now and then you can get a nice deal on some bigger frags. But mostly they’re higher end of fair market pricing.

——

another store way out in Pasadena has often more unique and rare items like mantis shrimp and other inverts, he also is one of the only to carry Expensive scollies in store.

stores not very well maintained, not sure if the pandemic had anything to do with it? But back in 2011 it was in my top 5. Now not so much beyond the fact he still has the more unique species IMO.

lastly deep blue has great 5 frag for $100 zoa tank.

best zoa collection I’ve ever seen
Awesome! Thanks! I'm bookmarking this!

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep them but then my bangaii cardinal, wrasses and hawkfish would kill and eat them every time they molted.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few in my tank. They all try to climb on my hand when im working in the tank. They don’t serve much purpose as far as cleaning fish since most parasites/diseases commonly seen in the hobby are anchored under the skin.
All of mine love to steal food from my LPS and nems.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great addition to my tank, I have 2, they setup camp in a tunnel, foxface, coral beauty and lemon peel always going in for a good scratch

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you keep cleaner shrimp? Do you just like them as a tank inhabitant, or do you think they serve a purpose in fish health? How highly would you rate their importance to your tank?

1.jpg

Photo: @ChristopherKriens
I keep one in my reef and really enjoy it. I do believe they serve a purpose in fish health. I can't say exactly what it is but my fish let it climb all over them so it must be doing something beneficial!

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about the fish, but my cleaner will clean under my finger nails if I stick my hand in the tank. Very helpful :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back