How many of you have corals growing on your overflow boxes? Post a pic!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this pic by @Streetdoc77 in the monti show off thread, and it got me thinking... well, first I thought that it's a really cool pic! and then I thought, I wonder how many others are doing something similar. Post up your pics of coral on overflow boxes!

1.JPG

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to get a monti on mine but it won't stay! I have a mag rock with some encrusting cyphastrea on it that I moved close to the overflow to try to grow on there

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this pic by @Streetdoc77 in the monti show off thread, and it got me thinking... well, first I thought that it's a really cool pic! and then I thought, I wonder how many others are doing something similar. Post up your pics of coral on overflow boxes!

1.JPG
Wow.. that's amazing

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few monti colonies on my overflows, I will get a picture tomorrow (subscribing tonight so I get a reminder.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.JPG

Man - a little of topic but does anyone know the name of that blue and pink monti?

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.JPG

Awesome picture and idea. If you don't mind me asking, how does it live through water changes when the level goes below the overflow?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Show me any unique coral locations!

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are exposed to air and the hot sun all the time when shallow reefs are in an extreme tidal location.
They produce excess slime to coat themselves with aiding in moisture retention and protection for the elements until the tide comes back in.

Where we may see some issues is exposing a coral for longer periods of time with a large difference between tank temp and house temp especially if the house temp is below 75 or so it can stress the coral.
I've had large colonies and frags exposed to home temperatures for an hour or two while performing large water changes and tank cleaning.
Once I had massive RTN on a yellow bird nest colony after an hour of exposure to 72 degree house temp during the winter. Didn't dawn on me until I refilled the tank and thought man this warm water feels great, DOH !
I had turned down the thermostat to keep the house cooler and heater from aggregating my sons sinus cold.
The colony was the size of a basketball and about 40 frags survived, the rest was bare of tissue within 3 hours.
All other sps were done as they had not been exposed as long.
Mishaps will happen to us all at some point.
Normal temps of 75-82 degrees have never bothered any corals I've owned while being exposed to air, they will produce heavy slime just as in nature to protect themselves.
If you are concerned about long periods of time you could keep basting them with tank water a couple times during a large water change or use clean paper towels wet with tank water to gently cover the coral, this will help keep them moist.

I've got two overflows and have been thinking of letting one get covered in orange setosa and the other using epoxy and glue to hold some favia frags and let them cover as they wish

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I perform a water change I loose most of the volume from my sump, but I have a few colonies that grow to the surface, on and off the overflows, they have always been fine after the water level drops a little.

I love the cyphastrea, it encrust more nicely than montipora, which tends to plate out when affixed to vertical surfaces, IME.

Green5Delt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this pic not only do I have a ppe cyphastrea on the overflow but two different montis growning on the back glass..

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took advantage of my huge GSP and just let it move over to the overflow which I do have to trim back occasionally as it starts to impede water flow.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took advantage of my huge GSP and just let it move over to the overflow which I do have to trim back occasionally as it starts to impede water flow.

I was going to mention I have seen a couple tanks with GSP on the overflows, and makes it look like a nice, living green wall...

That being said, I like using it as a monti-growing spot. Not sure how everyone gets the monti to grow vertical, though... I would think they would try and shelf out...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back