How many of you have corals growing on your overflow boxes? Post a pic!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been glueing corals directly and also some attached to rocks where I glued the entire rock...not as hard as you think as long as you have great glue. ( I use the echotech glue ) Love that stuff. I took a Monti off with a surgeon kneife and as soon as i hit the first corner it peeled right off in one piece ( surprisingly ) but not sure if that goes for everything but it worked with the Monti. Corals attached to rock will definitely be easier to remove
I get that, I meant more about what happens if you cover a 4 sqft panel with a cyphastrea, and it doesn’t get the color you were expecting? You just take a scraper to it and go to town? I’m not exactly sure how cyphasyrea reacts when you try to do that. Does it come off as a few larger sheets or does it crumble to tiny chunks?

I was thinking that putting large tiles against the glass and having it encrust on the tiles would help with removal down the road. Just lift the edge of the tile and pop it off- Instant 12”x12” encrusted colony that you could further chop down, or transplant somewhere else

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, I meant more about what happens if you cover a 4 sqft panel with a cyphastrea, and it doesn’t get the color you were expecting? You just take a scraper to it and go to town? I’m not exactly sure how cyphasyrea reacts when you try to do that. Does it come off as a few larger sheets or does it crumble to tiny chunks?

I was thinking that putting large tiles against the glass and having it encrust on the tiles would help with removal down the road. Just lift the edge of the tile and pop it off- Instant 12”x12” encrusted colony that you could further chop down, or transplant somewhere else
That actually sounds like a great solution if your thinking of down the road to remove it. I do not know what these cyphastrea doing or how they would react ..... i have had corals break in tiny pieces and also come off easy. You in fact gave me a great idea ...tiles first ...love it !!
all i know about cyphastrea is that usually i had a tiny sliver left where ever i removed them and it starts to grow again to a big one.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys trimming them when they grow to close to the strainer? Any tips on the best method?

someone mentioned putting a flat strip of epoxy along the edge just below the teeth. When it encrusts, just pull it off and replace with fresh epoxy. You get a strip of ready made frags as part of the deal too

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas started blocking the overflow. I shut off water flow and just scraped them down about 4" into a net. I probably will only have to do that 2x per year so I'll leave them be for now. I'm tempted to put gsp on the other side after seeing how easy it was to scrape the flat surface.

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this pic by @Streetdoc77 in the monti show off thread, and it got me thinking... well, first I thought that it's a really cool pic! and then I thought, I wonder how many others are doing something similar. Post up your pics of coral on overflow boxes!

1.JPG
Whats the best way to cut them to stay out of the overflow slits?

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is amazing! Hopefully this brings it back again

Any updates from those who already posted on here?

lockus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this multiple times with a variety of corals. The first is pocillopora that is currently becoming a nuisance in my tank. The other two photos are from the same tank about 10 years ago. Pavona and Montiporia Capricornis. Literally scrape overflow with a screwdriver weekly to keep growth in check allowing unrestricted flow thru the weir.
inbound5230907409691285218.jpg
inbound2705720976200183140.jpg
inbound9183710375928558130-jpg.2481098
inbound9183710375928558130.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smallest amount of GSP on my overflow waiting for it to take it over lol

Attachments

• 220CC049-413B-471A-830C-43FF856BBF71.jpeg
    220CC049-413B-471A-830C-43FF856BBF71.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 30

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the lower you start GSP the better because it grows upward at least in my tank.
I’m actually going to start with a small rock and lean it up against the glass let it naturally grow up that way since the rock will be blocked from view.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back