How many of you have corals growing on your overflow boxes? Post a pic!

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank looking now? I was just telling my wife that I was going to start adding frags to my back wall and overflow. Then I stumbled across your picture. That looks awesome!!!
Thank you !!! I broke this tank down and moved , this particular tank is now my fuge connected to my SCA 120 . I’m going to start adding cyphastria to the back glass and overflow to my new tank soon ! Once I started feedING the meteor shower it TOOK OFF I glued frag plugs around it and had plenty of fully encrusted plugs to trade and what not .

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you !!! I broke this tank down and moved , this particular tank is now my fuge connected to my SCA 120 . I’m going to start adding cyphastria to the back glass and overflow to my new tank soon ! Once I started feedING the meteor shower it TOOK OFF I glued frag plugs around it and had plenty of fully encrusted plugs to trade and what not .

Awesome!! I can't wait to see the new tank.

My rock in my 150 gallon stops about mid way and I have a lower gap in the middle with a lot of real estate on the glass. I want to start adding corals to have them grow on the glass. Have you had any experience with adding branching acro's to your glass? Also, I read that it is hard to get them to hold on the glass.

20190922_181010.jpg

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I can't wait to see the new tank.

My rock in my 150 gallon stops about mid way and I have a lower gap in the middle with a lot of real estate on the glass. I want to start adding corals to have them grow on the glass. Have you had any experience with adding branching acro's to your glass? Also, I read that it is hard to get them to hold on the glass.

20190922_181010.jpg
Great looking tank! I have gown across on the glass , its really difficult to glue them onto the glass or over flow directly . You want to snip the plug and glue the whole disk it gives a lot more surface area to adhere . Acros like stag horns will branch up towards the light and tables will grow straight out and would mount those lower due to shading . Cyphystria are super fast growers and would fill in the back but they will take over anything close to them . Started a build thread on my new one 120 gallon nice and slow .

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I have gown across on the glass , its really difficult to glue them onto the glass or over flow directly . You want to snip the plug and glue the whole disk it gives a lot more surface area to adhere . Acros like stag horns will branch up towards the light and tables will grow straight out and would mount those lower due to shading . Cyphystria are super fast growers and would fill in the back but they will take over anything close to them . Started a build thread on my new one 120 gallon nice and slow .

Thank you!! It is a work in progress. I am looking to add some Stags and other branching corals(maybe some digi's, etc). I am picking up another 10 pieces(mostly stags) in two weeks and I am limited on space right now. I am getting good growth now and within a year everything will more than likely compete with each other for space. I really love that full reef look and I think having some branching acro's and encrusting monti's would look awesome on the back wall.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A covered rainbow montipora overflow would look CRAZY !

Absolutely! That has been on my list for some time now. How hard is it to remove the frag plug or coral once it is encrusted? Will a razor blade remove everything from the glass?

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! That has been on my list for some time now. How hard is it to remove the frag plug or coral once it is encrusted? Will a razor blade remove everything from the glass?
It takes some doing to remove the plug once it’s encrusted....it’s not easy . As long as you stay on top of scraping it off the glass and don’t let it get out of hand should be fine . In the case with the cyphastria it wasn’t just spreading out it was getting thicker as well .

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glued a home wrecker, asd Jesus acro, and neon birthday cake acro to my back wall in my reefer 170. I can’t wait for it to start encrusting. I’ll probably glue a jelly bean chalice and my Miami chalice to the bottom once I get my t5 hybrid going

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question if I may. How do you actually get them on the box? Do you just superglue a frag?
That’s it just superglue it but it’s been my experience that they do a lot better if you snap the bottom of the frag plug and glue the disc it gives a lot more surface area for the glue to adhere to and urchins ,snails and stuff like that are less likely to knock it off.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it just superglue it but it’s been my experience that they do a lot better if you snap the bottom of the frag plug and glue the disc it gives a lot more surface area for the glue to adhere and see urchins and snails and stuff like that are less likely to knock it off.
Thanks! I just got a rainbow Monti yesterday so I am going to give it a try. How do you keep the slots on the overflow open? Just scrape it off as it grows? Thanks for the help and the idea, your chyphastrea looks amazing!

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just got a rainbow Monti yesterday so I am going to give it a try. How do you keep the slots on the overflow open? Just scrape it off as it grows? Thanks for the help and the idea, your chyphastrea looks amazing!
Thank you !!! All I did was clean the overflow teeth with like a toothbrush and it tended to keep the cyphastria off from getting in the way .

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes some doing to remove the plug once it’s encrusted....it’s not easy . As long as you stay on top of scraping it off the glass and don’t let it get out of hand should be fine . In the case with the cyphastria it wasn’t just spreading out it was getting thicker as well .

Do you have any more pictures of your old tank?

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason it won’t let me put the link in but here’s the name of the thread

74 gallon SPS Dominator

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back