Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not qt my fish. but I do medicate my corals for 1hr.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently QT fish. I also not big into fish and only have a few. But my corals get dipped QT and dipped again!!!!!

Grizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing an Achilles and a Powder Blue tang to ich in my previous setup nothing goes in the DT without quarantine first.

I put all fish through tank transfer first then into a 30 gal QT tank for at least another 4 weeks. During that time they all get a couple does of PraziPro.

I also QT all corals etc in a 20 gal QT tank.

I figure with all the $$ invested in this taking a few extra weeks to ensure its done right is worth it.

mdiesel

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly agree with you grizzle ! all fish and especially corals go through a quarantine process . As we all know you can't take shortcuts or rush a reef tank of you want it to thrive , so what's the hurry to put something in a self sustained system that could possibly kill all of your aquatic friends , your time and hard work, and progress you have made on that tank. Learned my lesson a few years back when I had a little over 3k in Angels get whiped out in less than 72 hours from velvet because I felt I had to add a scribbled because I got a deal on one . And with coral I'll tell you Zoanthid eating spiders and flatworms aren't any more fun than velvet ! As hard as it is being patient now pays off for me .

JSeward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites and disease are such a small part of the QT process. You need to give your new fish a chance to relax in a stress free environment after it has been shipped around the world. Give it an opportunity to eat without competition and get used to your food and feeding regime. Slowly get it used to your light cycle. Those are the important parts of quarantining. Observing and treating for illness is just something you do while conditioning your new pet for the display tank. Kevin Kohen, Austin Lefevre, and Tony Vargas do a good job of explaining this in the articles linked below.

Quarantine Fish Aquariums
Reefs Magazine - Conditioning Picky Fishes
Australian Leopard-wrasse Quarantine Technique

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope while you guys are spending all this time quarantining your livestock that you are also getting them in perfect health so they don't get sick in the first place.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope while you guys are spending all this time quarantining your livestock that you are also getting them in perfect health so they don't get sick in the first place.

No we actually flick them in the head a bunch and beg them to not eat a thing.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my QT.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423188593.885199.jpg

Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back