Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four years ago I had a "healthy" yellow tang from another person's tank infect my tank with MI. Well, it died and gave my angels some spots, but they got over it. So, good to go, right? Well, after I read this article and found out they were actually suffering I've quarantined everything ever since. I quarantine everything - even snails. I introduced aiptasia into an aquarium via a turbo snail. I treated that DT like an operating room. Arrr, I hate aiptasia. I introduced bryopsis via a dipped acro - arrr. My tanks are 8 years old, 5 years old, and 2 years old, and disease free; I'm not taking any chances. Marine Ich - Myths and Facts
I currently do not QT any of my fish and never have. Saying that I wish I had looking back at my years in the hobby. So heres the question, I currently have a 225G and have around 13 fish in there currently. Every so often the fish will show signs of ICH but it passes in a day or so and there is no real outbreak. Usually happens to new fish that are added and once adjusted they show no signs of it. So what would be the point of a QT for me? I have the space, money and time to set one up. I know I have ICH present in my system and I am not going change anything because there really is no problem. So would the point of a QT just to be to get the fish eating and use to tank life...maybe cure a disease that pops up while hees in QT?

someone with some knowledge shed some light on this for me please thanks

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four years ago I had a "healthy" yellow tang from another person's tank infect my tank with MI. Well, it died and gave my angels some spots, but they got over it. So, good to go, right? Well, after I read this article and found out they were actually suffering I've quarantined everything ever since. I quarantine everything - even snails. I introduced aiptasia into an aquarium via a turbo snail. I treated that DT like an operating room. Arrr, I hate aiptasia. I introduced bryopsis via a dipped acro - arrr. My tanks are 8 years old, 5 years old, and 2 years old, and disease free; I'm not taking any chances. Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

I also QT snails. Got burned by not doing this, I bought some from a guy who had monti eating nudis, sure enough there was one on a snail. Lost all my montis from adding 10 darn snails.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't add fish very often but if i see one at my lfs i will watch it for a couple of weeks and make sure he is healty and eating before i buy.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't add fish very often but if i see one at my lfs i will watch it for a couple of weeks and make sure he is healty and eating before i buy.

How's that work if some one buys it lol

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my iPhone5

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't anymore now I just acclimate for a longer period after about a hour or so I add a little prezipro in the acc container leave for another hour. That's been working fine for me so far.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not QT any of my fish and never have. Saying that I wish I had looking back at my years in the hobby. So heres the question, I currently have a 225G and have around 13 fish in there currently. Every so often the fish will show signs of ICH but it passes in a day or so and there is no real outbreak. Usually happens to new fish that are added and once adjusted they show no signs of it. So what would be the point of a QT for me? I have the space, money and time to set one up. I know I have ICH present in my system and I am not going change anything because there really is no problem. So would the point of a QT just to be to get the fish eating and use to tank life...maybe cure a disease that pops up while hees in QT?

someone with some knowledge shed some light on this for me please thanks
Im still new but i read that the pariste needs a fish host till it reaches a certain stage then it releases into the column and finds a spot in the sand or rock to reproduce , usually a spot your fish likes to kick it so when their ready for another host all they have to do is wait for the fish to return to his little home. So just becuase the fish lost the parasites doesnt mean their gone just on to the next stage in their life. That could explain why it comes and goes in your DT?

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do it, cause I buy my fishes where I'm sure they are clean and safe.
I don't have any problem in my tank (oh, thanks god)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415557711606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415557711606.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 234

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had reef tanks a long time and have never quarentined. However I recently just got into captive bred seahorses, which have protection from pathogens from the ocean so I set up a QT and will use it for all new inhabitants.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had reef tanks a long time and have never quarentined. However I recently just got into captive bred seahorses, which have protection from pathogens from the ocean so I set up a QT and will use it for all new inhabitants.

Oops I meant to say seahorses have no protection from pathogens...

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt every fish. Why not do it right in the first place? Spend a little time in the first place instead of a lot of time and pain in but later.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used to quarantine but i will when the 120 is running. I've never had a spare tank big enough to use as QT but when the 24 is empty I will :)

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every zoo, theme park, aquarium worth there salt quarantines every new animal no matter the source themselves. This helps the anamal recover from transportation , weed out and treat disease, and general monitor the animal for behavior issues. This cost a great deal of money. They would cut it if it wasn't necessary. Alas it it how they can successfully keep animals in captivity.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a Kole Tang in my 20g QT this Sunday. Got him from a very well respected LFS, and while they put everything through a round of Prazi, they still always suggest customers put everything through QT as well. If I were rolling the dice with no QT (done it on previous setups) I wouldn't even think about adding any kind of tang to my tank.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching a 200 dollar Achilles and 500 dollar Black tang die from Ich, I'll never go without a QT tank again. Corals need it too, probably even more than fish.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as a "clean source" to buy fish from. Not even a store that prophetically treats in the absence of signs and symptoms. Even the most reputable stores, can't control what is on/in the fish and not visible. They cannot control what the fish was exposed to, while in their facility, if the water is shared amongst numerous tanks.

This is probably not going to come out right, on many different levels. They did a "study" of McDonald's restaurant's balls (the cages with balls you roll around in) and found tons of Rotavirus (diarrhea) and RSV (snot) on the them. Some stores aren't as clean as others, and were found to have a higher concentrations of both viruses, when the balls were cultured. To LESSEN your risk, you would bring your children to the stores with the least amount of virus particles. That in no way protects you against it, no matter how clean that store is. It is beyond their control to protect us from it, but it IS within their control to reduce our risk.

Going to an LFS with better maintenance practices, will reduce your risk of them bringing home cooties....... but it won't protect you. Ich without signs or symptoms, flukes without signs or symptoms, beginning infections without signs and symptoms, aren't typically treated for and can find their way into your tank.

I just bought two fish. One is flukey as all get-out and the other, I can't find one. Perfect example of how there is no crystal ball with this stuff.

Jp978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a qt tank after complete wipe out last year my mappa puffer was the only one that survived 6 fish in told and the regal angel that caused the destruction had no visible signs of any disease and was eating very well. Actually the store I got it from runs 1 ppm of copper in all his fowlr tanks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back