Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not QT my hermits, but I do plan on QT-ing all fish and future inverts. I have a 15g high.

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After loosing a large colony of ziggys stardust, sunset monti, and a few other montipora to s monti eating nudibranch we qt everything, good thing too, qt tank just showed up with flat worms.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and always will after the loss of my first fish ever due to ich from another fish.I have a 10g tank with Walmart hob filter weekly wc. And a eBay odyessa t5 fixture, will also be QT all my corals from now on as well. I've had every pest you could imagine, you should see my medicine cabinent lol.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not QT any of my fish and never have. Saying that I wish I had looking back at my years in the hobby. So heres the question, I currently have a 225G and have around 13 fish in there currently. Every so often the fish will show signs of ICH but it passes in a day or so and there is no real outbreak. Usually happens to new fish that are added and once adjusted they show no signs of it. So what would be the point of a QT for me? I have the space, money and time to set one up. I know I have ICH present in my system and I am not going change anything because there really is no problem. So would the point of a QT just to be to get the fish eating and use to tank life...maybe cure a disease that pops up while hees in QT?

someone with some knowledge shed some light on this for me please thanks

There are much worse diseases than ich, ich is very minor in comparison to velvet.

i get my fish from fosters and smith or live aquaria where they do it for me!

Kevin( the director of LADD) recommends all fish still be QT'd even after being in his care.

even snails and hermits???

why?

just wondering..

Ich can come in on anything wet.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20L for my Qt, I also have a couple ten gallons for inverts now. I learned the hard way that disease can come in on inverts too. I've kept fish with ich in the past and it's been pretty obvious to me that they aren't living the way they should be. I feel completely awful watching fish scratching up against the rocks. I wouldnt feed my dog extra food with vitamins to cure them of ticks and I don't see it as a cure for fish either. There are plenty of excuses why not to QT but if you ask any good fish retailer they will recommend QT because its makes such a big difference in the survival of fish.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40B QT for my 260g display. QT is for observation for 6 weeks and if anything pops up, appropriate treatment action is taken.

HOB fuge, HOB skimmer, live rock, live sand, ATO, dosers, etc. Lighting, that is not done yet, will be AI Vega to match the display and allow coral acclimation during QT.

My personal view is good filtration and water quality is easier to maintain with a reef setup with live rock, etc and hence less stressful on livestock. Time will tell if this is a good idea.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cubes and a 40 gal breeder I use for QT. I will QT all new arrivals for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I feed 2-3x a day, supplement w/selcon, vitachem, garlic, & beta glucan. Depending on the fish I will deworm them with Prazipro or use Cupramine for parasites and whatnot. I have nearly 30 fish in my 450 display and cannot afford a massive disease outbreak. Simply put, I have too much invested to play "Russian Roulette" with my tanks inhabitants.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've QT'D fish in the past and had an ich outbreak in the QT due to it being too small and I lost all the fish.

I have also QT'D fish for a few weeks, added them to the DT looking fine and then 3 days later BAM, Ich and I lost half my fish...

I don't QT any more although I should.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with not QT fish, but recently set a 20 gal up to acclimate and get feeding established for a Copperband Butterfly. I think I will start QT going forward since I have it setup and have such a large investment in my display fish.

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it more important to QT if you order fish from a remote vendor then a LFS? I have not done QT but always had it in the back of my mind to setup a QT. I normally trust the LFS I visit and ask them on how long the fish has been with them and what QT procedure was followed etc etc.
If you buy more than one fish at a time..do you QT them in separate QT tanks?

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria didn't mention if they use copper treatment or not unless I miss it somehow on their page. I would still QT, besides, the healthiest fish will be stressed during shipping, unless you live next to live aquaria in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

Diver's Den are the fish that they do the treatments with as far as I know.

LiveAquaria.com Diver's Den® Quarantine Procedure for Fish

Disease Prevention
Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Clownfish are quarantined for a minimum of four weeks at our facility before we offer them for sale. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Once they start feeding, all new fish that enter our facility, and can be successfully weaned onto prepared foods, are de-wormed, via frozen food soaked in praziquantel, metronidazole, and piperazine. After the de-worming process, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish. These foods include frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, live ghost shrimp, frozen krill, silversides, roe, dried seaweed, cockle, and even pellet foods. Some species of Anglerfish, Frogfish, Leaffish, Scoprion Fish, and certain species of wild harvested seahorses that require live foods, such as Ghost Shrimp, will be listed with this information in their description when they are posted on the site.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it more important to QT if you order fish from a remote vendor then a LFS? I have not done QT but always had it in the back of my mind to setup a QT. I normally trust the LFS I visit and ask them on how long the fish has been with them and what QT procedure was followed etc etc.
If you buy more than one fish at a time..do you QT them in separate QT tanks?

You should QT regardless where it comes from if it has not gone thru a QT process IMO. If the LFS QTs the fish and treats them, then puts them into their tanks thats great. But be sure they do every single fish that way. Just 1 fish can render that whole process moot if it goes into the system and has ich. You can QT more than one fish in the same tank, as long as its big enough not to stress them out.

A QT tank is really easy to setup. I use a 20L with a heater and powerhead plus some PVC fittings as hiding places. I do water changes with water from my display tank once a week or if the ammonia levels rise. If I am QTing corals i just add a light :)

Last edited:

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always. When my QT is set up I use a couple of 3" PVC tees that have filter floss stuffed in them (synthetic live rock). If the tank is not set up, I put the same pieces of PVC back in there, fill it with my display tank water, and dose with bio-spira. 2 weeks minimum in for all fish, longer with medication if necessary.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do now. Bought a use biocube and set it up in the garage. Now that a got a 400 gal system i dont want one bad fish to wipe out that big of tank.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We QT our fish - even those we acquire thru LA Diver's Den. Yes, there are times that we lose a few in the process and it can be a chore, but the lives we've saved doing it, more than justify the extra effort. We're in this for the long haul and some of our fish have been with us for nearly 10 years, not to mention we keep a large number of fish. I could not imagine taking the risk of exposing them to amyloodinium (marine velvet) and losing them.

-Terry

EcoFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if it was answered fully but many parasites have larval stages that use inverts as hosts instead of the fish so leaving them in the DT after an outbreak or even not QTing them if it is a regimen that you use is a hole in the process...i'm personally not familiar with invert QT as i dont QT anything i figure that enough time looking and watching a fish before a purchase or receiving one from a reliable source LA or PIA or something of the sort reduces the risk of infection enough for me to feel comfortable...i've also never had to "beat" ich before just enough feeding and reducing salinity to 1.022 at most has solved the problem for me everytime

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter where a fish comes from there always chance for sickness. They all go through the same or similar wholesalers

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria didn't mention if they use copper treatment or not unless I miss it somehow on their page. I would still QT, besides, the healthiest fish will be stressed during shipping, unless you live next to live aquaria in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

I live 30 min from rhinelander! so i pick them up and take them straight home

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
Thanks for posting this. It is very helpful. Which of these treatments is for Ich? Thanks.

I have a 26g Bowfront that i use for QT. It is equipped with THIS foam filter, a Maxijet for pulling flow through the sponge, an air stone, a heater, a thermometer, an Ammonia alert, and a large PVC wye. I made an egg crate top for it and it only gets ambient light. Replacement sponges are only $6.99 shipped for 2 of them, so I keep a few on hand at all times and ones sits in my Display tank sump getting seeded with good bacteria.

This is the process I follow:
Pre Day 1- The day before a fish comes home, the QT is filled, heater turned on, the seeded sponge is added, and a new sponge goes into the DT sump for seeding.
Day 1- Fish is acclimated to the QT and left alone
Day 2- I start offering daily lite feedings
Day 3- Prazipro treatment
Day 9- 25% water change
Day 10- 25% water change
Day 10-Prazipro treatment
Day 16- 25% water change
Day 17- 25% water change
Day 17- Cupramine treatment (unless I know it came from a source that copper treats all fish)
Day 30- 25% water change using half new water and half out of my display
Day 31- 25% water change using half new water and half out of my display
Day 32- Move fish out of QT, drain and bleach the QT, refill, and go buy another fish.

*It should be noted that I am new to marine fish. I decided to start using this process from the beginning after lots of research. I have taken one Tang through it (although I did not do the Cupramine because the LFS I bought it from had had him in copper for over 2 weeks when I bought it), and now I am taking a pair of clowns through it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back