How many of you rinse your media (carbon, gfo, etc) with RODI only?

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change the media, install the reactors in my tank and then run the output to a bucket until the water runs clear (about 4-5 gallons for both my GFO and Carbon). Outputs go back into the tank and run through a 100 micro filter sock.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse in tap water after I put it in a strainer to remove dust. Then a short rinse with RODI or tank water if I am doing a wc.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change the media, install the reactors in my tank and then run the output to a bucket until the water runs clear (about 4-5 gallons for both my GFO and Carbon). Outputs go back into the tank and run through a 100 micro filter sock.

This is what I do as well. Except the filter sock afterwards, but that is a great practice that I will be incorporating on my next media swap.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this, this way for twenty years with NO ill effects what so ever. The small amount of exposure time from tap and tank water isn't even close to worrying about. Now if your TDS is in the high hundreds from the tap, okay then.
I guess it's a case by case basis whether it NEEDS to be done. Of course it won't provide any ill affects to the media, I just prefer not to use up any of the media in the rinsing process. It's like washing your clothes in dirty water imo.

Moo76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tap water - the small amount of adsorbed is minute compared to what the media can adsorb.
Higher pressure in the sink will quickly rinse the media.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I use a media canister for both Carbon and GFO I move the return hose to a bucket outside my tank and turn on the pump. Usually only takes about a gallon or two to clean out. That way I do a small water change in the process.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water and then a quick rinse in RODI which is most likely unnecessary like Paul B stated but it makes me "feel" better.. Like some of the other ways I am reading about here. Definitely many way to skin a simple cat.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't technically rinse them, I go ahead and put them in the reactors, then fill up a 5g bucket of freshly made saltwater put the reactor pump in there and run the new saltwater through it until it is clear. :)

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres two ways of looking at it..its putting tap water in your tap water in your tank as you are rinsing the filter with the thing full of what you are trying to take out and keep out of your tank so You're not wasting rodi as someone said.. that is what its FOR. Making sw & rinsing things that go in our tanks. So if you have ever rinsed anything that will go in your tank or hold water that goes in your tank with rodi before then carbon should be at the top of the list since as opposed to other things like buckets which the water rolls off of... the carbon actually pulls out and holds the things tap water has that we don't want in our tanks and then put it in and run your system water through it hoping it doesnt release it. Kinda the same as taking out your rodi carbon block and putting it your system reactor.
BUT... considering it IS the thing you use to keep those pollutants out.. might not matter.
But I'm also pretty sure not all of the pollutants in the tap water are instantly absorbed esp if in a mesh bag.. so a little tap water is going in the system for sure.
I have a john guest valve between the ro & do stages of my 8 stage setup... so maybe.. I'll run a half gal of ro through it then around a quart of rodi. Just seems easier to eir on cautions side & use a gallon of rodi if it's easy for you to make quickly ... but I've been there where it takes forever & every gallon is precious.
Still putting on the Team Rodi Jersey Though..
... TDS # .00

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back